chapter 32

chapter 32 Back To You

------
dear soulmate,

as a kid, i often got confessions from boys belonging to my class. it wasn't anything romantic or anything. they were just some children trying to be adults.

when i grew up, i became unattractive and as a result, no one bothered with me anymore. i don't mind tho. i know that i have you.

... how about now though?

------

"L-Laito?"

The redhead panted for air as he leaned against the doorframe. He didn't reply and instead forced his way into the room, making the girl take hasty steps backward.

"Is there something wr—?" she was cut off as his arms grabbed her and pulled her to him.

Laito hugged the girl tightly, chin resting on her shoulder. He closed his eyes in complete joy, small tears slowly sliding down his cheeks.

"... Uh..." her heart was beating so loudly against her chest as it tremendously ached. "... Are you... okay?"

"I understand... I understand it now." He moved away from her, hands making their way back to her arms. "I..."

He was crying. Why is he crying?

"Did something happen?" she asked, resisting the urge to wipe his tears away because it was too painful to do so. It was like blatantly telling him that she is still madly in love with him.

"I..." Laito took her hand and held it close to his cheeks. "... I love you."

The girl's eyes widened upon this sudden confession, heart skipping a beat. What did he just...?

'... No, don't be stupid.'

"... Ah..." she managed to let out. "... Oh."

She then proceeded to unclasp her hand from the male's, retreating back with a forced laugh. "Good one, pink salmon."

She turned away from him, going back to the chore she left for such a heartbreaking prank. "I'll take that joke with me in my new apartment. Thanks for the takeout."

"I'm not fooling around." The redhead grabbed her shoulder, pivoting her to face him once again. His moist green eyes appeared so sincere, a tinge of hope shining in its irises. "I now know that I've fallen in love with you."

And her heart skipped another beat.

'You stupid organ! Stop being such a brittle piece of trash!' she scolded herself.

She shook her head in disapproval, lips pursed into a thin line. "That's enough, man. Repeating a joke too much will make it lose its effectivity."

"I'm not kidding," he repeated once again. "I do—"

"Now that I think about it, that joke's already been long overused." she cut him off, brushing his hand away from her shoulder. "You've told me that once in the garden. It was funny then."

"I wonder what makes it different this time around?"

"I swear to you; I'm not lying." Laito desperately coaxed her, his tongue that usually spats flowery words not aiding him in his current predicament. "I didn't know what love means back then."

"And now you do?" she countered, voice tired. She crossed her arms, looking up at the attractive male in front of her.

He nodded vigorously at this. "Someone explained it to me in a clear manner!"