chapter 29

chapter 29 The Truth Untold; Love and Life

------

'Such a trashed life I've lived. Fulfilling? More like fool-filled.'

"Wait— no!"

She closed her eyes and swiftly brought the dagger to her chest.

...

There was no pain.

"... What?" confusion swept through her as she opened her eyes once again.

Cold large hands stopped her by the wrist before the sharp weapon could even touch her.

Her eyes traveled from the hand stopping her to the face of the owner of said hand. It was the youngest Sakamaki, the albino with piercing red eyes. However, unlike his usual wrathful glare, empathy was present in his crimson eyes.

"I gave you this dagger to protect yourself." he lightly scolded "Not to wave it carelessly around and kill yourself."

His gentle voice pierced through her trance, making her resolution debilitate. He softly called out her name, completely weakening her grip on the weapon in her hands. The silver dagger fell on the ground with a loud clutter, cutting the dead silence of the entire area short. He released her hand, kneeling down to pick the object up.

"Kiyoko was once a pure girl with a clean heart. Her stay here turned her into a completely different person. It was our fault that she changed. We did kill her but you..."  Subaru said, slowly turning the dagger in his hand. "You loved her with all your heart. Even probably more than I did."

He looked up to meet the girl's eyes, seeing the woman he had loved in her.

'So she's the child Kiyoko was holding by the hand.'

"And she also loved you. You didn't kill her. You gave her life."

Upon hearing such comforting words, the girl's entire system collapsed. The adrenaline that kept her standing completely ran out. Her consciousness faded, entire body falling backwards.

Laito didn't waste another minute. He quickly ran to the girl, catching her before she hit the ground.  He gently brushed her hair aside, checking her pulse located on her neck. Thankfully, it was normal.

Ayato, who was a mere spectator of the mess, was completely at lost. The words the girl dropped weighed in his mind more than the pain present in his arm. Not saying another word, he walked out of the scene and to the comfort of his room.

Laito hoisted the girl's body up in his arms, planning to take the girl in her room. However, his albino brother stopped him in his tracks.

"I'll do it," Subaru said, voice deep and demanding.

Laito's eyes glared back at him but still let his lips curve up in his usual smirk. "You should just let your older brother do it." he rebutted, emphasizing the fact that he was older.

The other male's glare hardened. "I'm sure that you know more than I do that the last thing she wants is for you to take care of her."

This statement made the older male stop in his tracks, smile slowly fading. "How did..."

"I heard it in the rooftop. Your conversation with her." the white-haired male briefly explained, taking the girl in his arms. This time, he was met with no resistance. "You should give up. She's not like the whores you had." He walked away from his petrified brother, not sparing him another glance.

"I don't consider her as one." Laito softly spoke out, looking down at the ground with clenched fists.

Subaru stopped walking, back against Laito. "Then stop making her feel like she is one."