chapter 25

chapter 25 I Don't Know

------
dear soulmate,

the night sky is pretty tonight. it's a perfect moment to tell what you truly feel about the person you love.

------

"The moon is so beautiful." the girl said with a sigh, staring up the dark skies.

The stars were shining brightly beside the crescent moon. No clouds were present which really aided in showcasing the beauty of the night.

The girl sat on a bench located on the school's rooftop. Beside her was the bag of goods she bought in the cafeteria.

She had recovered from the shock of seeing two individuals in the middle of a... heated dinner. During that time, she wanted to cry like a big baby and roll on the floor. Currently, though, she felt so numb. She felt nothing. No sadness nor anger.

Just plain nothing.

Maybe she was just not in the mood to feel anything anymore.

"... Here you are."

...

Without much hesitation, the girl turned her head towards the source of the voice. As expected, it was Laito. His complexion had already gotten better, his cheeks flushed and his lips pink. His forest green eyes which she adores the most were not dull anymore.

"Yup, I'm here." she normally answered, smiling a bit. She scooted to the side and patted the spot beside her. "Wanna sit?"

The male stared at her, assessing her expression. However, she was unreadable, her face a massive wall of defense. He couldn't read her mind. Wasn't she upset awhile ago?

Nevertheless, he cautiously sat beside her.

"The sky is really beautiful tonight," she said once he was near her. She was staring up once again, his eyes shining as they reflect the stars above them.

He really adores the way her eyes shine. He can't help but gawk at her. He couldn't even divert his gaze once she stared back at him.

"Your complexion is back." she touched his cheek softly, grinning. "I'm glad."

The auburn-haired male's eyes widened, heart, jumping in surprise. She was touching him and was even looking at his eyes. Did she forgive him for whatever he had done? Will they finally be back to normal?

"You shouldn't starve yourself." she lightly scolded. "You got me so worried."

"... Worried?"

She nodded. "Yup." with that, she let go of the male's cheek and grabbed the plastic bag beside her. "Here are some snacks I bought for you. Human nourishment is something you don't need but Ayato said that they still taste something so, yeah. Eat them. There are also packs of soya drink for Komori in order to replenish her iron count." she rambled, dropping all the goods on his lap.

"Don't you ever pull off another hunger strike," she repeated. "You're such a reckless old man."

"... I'm not... old..." Laito trailed off. He was too stunned to react properly to her words. She was being too nice that it was odd.

"Whatever," she looked back up the sky, sighing heavily. "Laito..."

She was calling him by his name consistently that it was really really peculiar. What's happening to her?

"You're my friend, right?" she carefully asked, enunciating each word as slowly as she can.

"... Y-yes. Yes, I am." he replied, sitting up straight while holding the plastic bag close to his chest.