chapter 12

chapter 12 One Sob Story (II)

------

dear soulmate,

where are you?

------

"The downside of living in an isolated village was that everyone is ignorant. There were no doctors that would tell the villagers what's wrong whenever they're ill." the calm girl suddenly said, disrupting the peace they both have established after her sorrowful cries. "My mother was not cursed; she had hypertensive retinopathy due to heightened stress which led to her vision loss. The villagers didn't know that."

She snuggled herself closer to Laito's chest as his arms around her tightened.

"There was also no means of getting news from the areas outside the village." she continued, voice muffled by the male's clothes. "The Father from Order that led the village? He was a wanted criminal. He was an arsonist and had been wanted for three years."

"The villagers are ignorant. I couldn't blame them for being so." she soulfully said. "They fear the unknown and would believe anything that resembles their fate. I understand. After all, I was one of them."

"That day, my brother had a plan with the mister who was our safe haven. It turned out that he was also tired of our life in the village. My brother planned to take our family in the city and perhaps, look for my mother's family as to help us." she continued, "I ruined my brother's plan but even though I did, it still helped me escape death."

"The villagers confined me to our house. The problem is that they found my drawings which were new to their eyes. They saw these drawings as a witch's writing. And so, they started to fear me too. The Order ultimately decided to burn me too."

"The mister got worried since my brother was not in their meeting place. He then saw the smoke rising up the sky and thought that the village was on fire. He searched the forest and soon found out that it was the ceremony. He called the police and before I knew it, the peaceful village I grew up in crumbled into pieces."

"The villagers including me were taken to a rehabilitation center. I was treated for two years, unlike the others who just took a couple of months. I haven't seen the man who saved me since then. After that, I was sent to an orphanage." she recalled. "The orphanage was okay. We get free stuff from people we don't know."

"I learned a lot of things from the orphanage," she said. "What a crayon is, what a television is, everything I never knew that exist." she paused. "I then realized that I was free. And that I can move on from the pain."

"Life got a bit better. I was adopted by a wealthy family. They pampered me a lot and I got showered with material things..." she said, "In return, I did my role to be the best daughter and older sibling I could be."

"They really loved me so much and I did love them too. However, I still couldn't stop the pain I would often feel when alone. Seeing my stepfamily being happy hurts me too. My mind is constantly filled with what ifs. What if my real family was alive? What if we lived in the city and not in the village?"

"It was too much. Too much that I started to resort to inflicting physical pain. I was the perfect city daughter on the outside. But deep inside, I'm still the village witch who killed her family." she closed her eyes, feeling the soft strokes the male was giving her back. "And of course, life just doesn't know when to stop pestering me."

"My stepfather died." she sighed. She just realized how tiring her life was. "He got involved in a car accident and wasn't able to survive."

"My stepmother didn't take it too well and started to waste her life away. She stopped paying attention to me and my younger stepsister. She would get drunk and bring in men in our house." she said. "They were manwhores just like you—ouch!" she cried out as Laito pinched her side. "It's true though. Don't get your panties in a twist— ow!"