chapter 28

chapter 28 Unraveling

------
dear soulmate,

.

------

He liked to count stars as they flash against the night sky. He would lie down on the grassy fields of their garden, arms behind his head. It helped him get rid of the dull pain in his chest whenever he felt like his existence was nothing but a complete misfortune. It helped him control his turbulent temper. It helps him act rationally.

"Do you also like the stars?" a gentle feminine voice asked.

A face obstructed his view, casting a shadow on his frame. She was the new sacrificial bride and as expected of a new one, she acted too curious and meddled too much with their affairs.

"Get out." he snapped at her, giving her a ferocious glare.

"We're already outside though." she reasoned innocently, sitting beside him.

Annoyed, the male scooted away from her, adjusting his position for further comfort. He chose to ignore the girl and continued staring up.

"There's no moon today." she pointed out. "It's kind of sad."

He didn't reply. He was not in the mood for conversation. He just wanted silence.

"... Is that why you're sad?" she suddenly asked.

Surprised, he glanced at her with eyes still sharp. "What are you trying to say?"

The girl didn't answer his inquiry. Instead, she smiled a bright smile, lips stretched upwards. "You're Subaru, right? I'm Kiyoko."

Crimson eyes quickly opened as a wave of deja vu hit him hard.

"D*mmit, I was just taking a nap." he cursed under his breath.

He had been dreaming about the past recently. He thought that he already managed to remove the binds that girl had put on him. But alas, she's still deeply in his mind. Maybe even deeper in his heart.

Slightly irritated with his thoughts, he pushed his coffin lid away quite brutally.

"Can't even f*cking rest when asleep." he mumbled, sitting up.

Rubbing his temples, he glanced at his surrounding. It was his room, as per usual. And as per usual, she wasn't there. Not anymore.

------

Entry 372

I want to die.

The entry was written in blood, smudges of the red liquid present on the page. It was worn out compared to the other pages although the earlier entries already showed how much the writer was in pain.

Kiyoko, her mother, had undergone so many things during her stay in the mansion as testified by the journal. She had experienced to be humiliated in every way possible. Her body was consumed according to the vampires' whims. She was denounced to a livestock that doesn't deserve to live. It was too painful that she herself begged for the sweet release of death.

Each physical and verbal abuse she experienced were painfully written in the journal in a detailed manner. Any person reading the entries would feel her grief and would sympathize on a deeper level.

And her daughter was no exception. Rather, each entry hit her harder than it should.

"... She wanted to die." the girl mumbled in misery, hot tears tempted to fall down her eyes.