chapter 33

Chapter 33 Choices to Make

------
dear soulmate,

i'm sorry.

------

"Mr. Hirano, I regret to inform you of the fact that your son had already reached the danger zone of his disease. If he doesn't undergo surgery in the States as soon as possible,  I'm afraid that he won't live to see the next season." the wrinkly family doctor of the Hiranos explained to the disheartened patriarch. "He really needs this surgery." the older male patted Shinji Hirano's shoulder before walking away from said individual.

Shinji Hirano's youth had long pass and his true age was starting to reveal itself. His mint-dyed hair was streaked with grey locks. His pale skin was decorated with few wrinkles. The dark circles under his eyes testified to the stress he was undergoing.

"Yuto..." he called out tiredly, turning his head towards the young purple-haired male comfortably lying down on the hospital bed. His eyes were burning with suppressed anger and fear for his son. Why does he have such a stubborn son!?

Yuto, unaware of his father's glare, was just fiddling with his game console, playing an intense game of Mario Kart. He was wearing his usual hospital gown, a tiger print beret hat on top of his messy long purple locks. "Oooh. This boy is winning," he cooed.

"Yuto." with an authoritative tone, Shinji managed to command his son to put his device down with just a single word.

"Yes?" the teen asked innocently, flashing a toothy grin. Oh, he knows what is to come.

Nagging.

"I'm not going to watch you die in front of me, young man." the father figure said, getting straight to the point. "We're going to States next week whether you like it or not."

Hazel eyes visibly widened in shock. No nagging but instead, it's forcing? "I can't do that Dad! I can't just leave her here alone. I don't even know where she is right now!" he was quick to reason.

"No." the other male firmly said, crossing his arms. "I'm not going to listen to your requests anymore. Your life is way more valuable than your soulmate conquest."

"You don't understand-!"

"I understand! In fact, I understand too well." by now, tears were threatening to fall down the adult male's eyes. His stern facade was dropped as the worry he was hiding was shown on his worn-out face. He took a nearby stool and sat himself next to the hospital bed. "I know that you're scared. I know that you feel like going to surgery feels like committing suicide. I know that you'd rather spend your remaining days next to the person you love." he paused.

Yuto didn't interfere with his father's lecture, listening intently with sharp intellectual eyes.

"But isn't it better to not think of things that way?" Shinji finally continued, smiling in a melancholic way. "If you have your surgery done and it succeeds, you'll be able to live longer by her side. And then, you won't have to fear the days to come. You'll just enjoy each of your moment with her." he held his son's hand tightly. ".. And all you need is a few months away from her."

"...I can't just stay put and watch my son die when I know that I can still mend things." he added, "You're the only family I have now. I can't have you leave me."

The young male was met with a choice he has to make. Personally, he doesn't have the extreme urge to prolong his life. He just wants to live his few remaining months with her, laughing and having fun. But right now, as he stared at his father's crestfallen face, he started to take in the fact that dying is not just about him. It's also the about the people he will leave once he dies.