chapter 17

chapter 17 Close But Not Quite

------
dear soulmate,

his hug was very warm. despite his cold body belonging to that of an actual vampire, i still found his embrace very comforting. my heart belongs to him already.

please hurry up and take it away from him. take it away before it gets broken to pieces. take it away before i get hurt.

please.

------

The rain had stopped falling from the sky which quieted the cold night away. In the park were two figures sitting on a wet bench. Both didn't mind for their clothes were already drenched.

After the exchange they had in the streets, Laito dragged the girl to a park where they can sit and contemplate about what had occurred.

The two sat far away from each other— as much as the bench can. They were engulfed in silence, the girl not having the willpower to look at the redhead beside her while the other kept staring at her visage, hoping that his stare would be reciprocated.

The girl looked down at her hands that were resting on her lap, biting her lower lip. The silence was deadly and it was slowly killing her nerves.

What she said at the spur of the moment revealed almost all her feelings towards him. Only a dumb person would not get the implication behind her words. She likes him so much. That's pretty much the message she wanted to convey with her monologue while back.

It might sound like a harmless confession. However, confessing to a casanova is like signing a contract with the devil himself. He can now manipulate her the way he wants since he already caught her heart. She literally guided him to her destruction. It was the most stupid move that she had ever done her whole life.

Should she attempt to run away again?

"...Does the wound hurt?" the vampire finally asked, referring to the bites he had taken from her. It broke the inner turmoil the girl was experiencing, bringing her to their present situation.

"No." she mumbled as a reply, scooting away from him.

"... I'm really sorry."

"... No."

"No?"

"I don't need your apology." she coldly said.

"Oh."

Silence.

"Will you look at me?"

"... No—" she was cut off once her chin was gently turned towards the direction of the guy she didn't want to look at.

Green orbs stared at hers as if he was studying her expression. "Are you mad at me?"

"No sh*t, Sherlock," she answered in a defiant manner, slapping his hand away but keeping their eye contact. "If we're done wasting time, let's go back to the mansion."

"Before we go back," he said, expression sullen, "What is the meaning of what you told me awhile ago...?"

And here comes that question. The girl ground her teeth together, tensing as she tried to escape the trap she had set up for herself.

With an internal sigh, she raised an eyebrow at the male. "What am I, free charity? Go figure it out yourself."

It wasn't the soundest comeback but it worked like a charm. Laito frowned at her response but changed their topic as she hoped.

"Listen..." he trailed off. "I'm really sorry. It was definitely not my intention to get angry—"

"Sure. Can we go now?" she cut him off.