chapter 13

chapter 13 4 walls.

------
dear soulmate,

if we ever have our first, where will you take me? To the amusement park? To the arcade? To the mall?

No matter what, I'll be sure to enjoy every minute of it. I just hope that I enjoy it more than I enjoyed today.

xoxo

------

His Side

With a final adjustment of his fedora hat, the redhead ran out of his room and joyfully jogged to the mansion's long and tedious hallway.

The event that occurred to him three days ago was a surprise and unpleasant but at the same time, a blessing that probably was sent to him. After all, he scored a day out with her.

"Are you sure you have not found your soulmate yet?" he asked as he blinked at the girl who had a determined look on her face.

They were still lying down on the girl's bed, facing each other as they did so.

"Nah. If I did, I'll feel the connection with him instantly." the girl said, smiling at him. "So far, I haven't felt it with anyone."

He stiffly smiled back at the girl with closed eyes, clenching his hands into fists. He doesn't really know why but he felt pissed and inadequate when she told him that. But nevermind that,

"Mhm~" he hummed, trying to remove the irritation in his system. "In three days, our school will be out since it's a human holiday."

"Let's do some human things." he offered, unclenching his fist and poking the girl's nose with his index finger.

"Human things?"

"Let's go out of this boring place."

A small playful and innocent smile reached his lips as he continued to jog around the hall. However, he was soon stopped as a figure who was walking out a door obstructed his pathway. It was his older brother, getting out his room to who-knows-where.

His innocent smile turned to that of his usual demeaning one as he waved at the violet-haired man who took notice of him.

"We're going out," he greeted Reiji. "I'm not bragging but I do think that she'll pick me."

Reiji's face remained passive despite the redhead's provocation. He merely adjusted his eyeglasses and looked at the other male condescendingly. "That is something that I do not care about," he answered, voice dropping cold.

He turned his back against Laito, dusting off the nonexistent dirt on his attire. "I've only partaken in a feud with you due to my skepticism towards the girl's identity. I didn't want her to be in this ... family affair just yet so I had tried to keep her away from you."

"I have done what I can do, though." he finally ended, walking away. "It's up to her if she is to survive this hell she has chosen for herself."

Instead of feeling insulted, a smile of satisfaction spread through the redhead's pink lips.

"Such blatant lies," he whispered under his breath as he watched the taller male walk away from him.

He didn't ponder on the subject further and instead, continued walking leisurely. And again, he was stopped by another individual. This time, it was the real sacrificial bride.

"A-ah!" the girl's cheeks turned visibly red at the sight of the fedora man. "G-good evening, Laito." she flashed a gentle smile towards him as she fiddled with her fingers.