|Twenty six|

"X-x-Xerxes..." I stumbled back as an overwhelming feeling of fear set in me.

He's here for us.

My fear wasn't reciprocated by my wolf who instantly sprang back from her sulking form to a jolly kid.

Yes...to Kill. I couldn't help but be pessimistic about his sudden visit. There was no way I would be pardon for the crime I committed that is run away from his pack.

That was a pretty big crime in the world of werewolves, as per the book I read in Xerxes' library.

Xerxes wasn't glaring nor had he any expression on his face making it hard for me to pin point what he was feeling.

I took several steps back instinctively, his eyes unwaveringly set on me and on my every movement yet he didn't make a move.

"Who is it, Meryl?" Mum asked from a distant before standing behind me.

At the sight Xerxes, mum was instantly before me. Shielding me with her body, ready to protect if the need arises. I held the back of mum's shirt and tried to calm myself. Xerxes didn't avert his eyes away from me which made me more anxious.

"Why are you here?" Mum's voice had an edge to it. She never asked me about my stay in Xerxes' pack nor did i ever tell her but there was no denying that she got the gist of what might have happened that made me run away from him.

Xerxes had a calm demeanour like always, but you couldn't shake the feeling that there was a dark shadow lurking behind him despite the calmness he tried to portray.

Xerxes eyes moved from mine to mum before answering her. "Can I come in, Mrs. Kloss?" His deep voice tugged something in me, and the urge to run towards him was immense but that didn't mean I wasn't scared.

Mum didn't have any other choice but to let him in. No matter what she thinks of Xerxes she couldn't deny his demands or any of his orders because he was the ultimate Alpha of us all. To top it off, his presence was demanding and authoritative leaving no room for defiance.

Mum moved aside to make way for him to enter and I along with mum moved back, following her steps. Giving a glance my way, Xerxes walked in the house and sat down on the couch where mum gestured towards.

The couch was made for three person but his dominating presence along with his large frame, left roam for only one person beside him.

Xerxes was truly an epitome of Alpha.

"Sit." Was all he said when he found us standing a few feet away from the couch he had occupied.

Without a word, we took the seat opposite of his and I casted my eyes downward unable to meet his cold eyes which were solely on me.

"So, why are you here, Alpha King? What do you want from us?" Mum tried to stay strong and make herself sound fierce and confident and she succeeded too but she couldn't hide her fear from me. She couldn't fool me with her strong façade.

I knew where she was coming from though, she had no chance against him if something were to happen that would lead to settle with paws and fangs. Nobody had a chance against him, he couldn't be defeated.

The books in his library were very helpful and educative. I learnt a lot both werewolves and also about Xerxes.

The last battle of werewolves which occurred 100 years ago, proved his strength and courage, the immense difference of power he possessed than the normal Alphas.

There was nobody who matched his power. Nobody was born to be par with him, yet.

"Meryl." Xerxes response was short and curt.