|Sixty-Five|

Images flashed in my mind of the childhood days we spent together, of the days we fought alongside each other, of the meals we shared together, of the times when we didn't know how cruel and dirty this world was.

I didn't want to believe but I couldn't deny what was before me and whose face was behind the mask. Been suspicious is one thing and having your suspicions confirmed is a whole different thing.

'Now, now, don't you look lovely crotched on the ground, sniffing my shoes, Alpha King...' His tone was taunting as he sneered at the last two words. His long hair swayed with the wind as he kneeled down to my level and met my glaring stare, a smile etched on his face.

'How...' I gasped for breath before continuing, 'could you...Roman?'

He threw his head back laughing as if finding this whole ordeal amusing and he didn't stop, not until he was satisfied. After a minute, his laughter quiet down and he wiped the wet trail under his eyes as his shoulders shook slightly, a chuckle escaping from his lips. The usual calm and gentle aura I felt from around him changed to that of an evil and sadistic. He seemed like a completely different person, someone I've never known.

I would have never thought he had this side to him even though I had my doubts on him for a long time only because of the ability he possesses but I didn't want to accept because of his personality. The incidents that revolved and were related to the Revolutionist were not normal and couldn't have been the work of someone who didn't hold a high position and then there was his ability to control minds which he seemed to have made used of in many occasion which made me suspicious of him.

Everything linked back to him- The incident with Bernard, Lisa, Thomas, Julian and everything related with the Revolutionist had to do with him and his ability to control minds.

Bernard was someone who had links and connections with almost every pack and Roman probably needed him to get the information. He made Lisa believe they were mates that's how he used her until she was caught. He used the pathway that only my brothers and I know about to meet up with her where he probably gave her the orders of what she has to do next. He used her with false promises of love and a hope for a future together which he wouldn't have fulfilled anyway.

The reason why he chose Thomas was obvious, because he was one of my most trusted men and also someone who occasionally guarded Meryl. He was strong but no one can go against Roman once he used his ability on them and that explains why Thomas apologized to Meryl before attacking her. His actions were not his own, he was controlled and there was nothing he could have done. As for Julian, the hard blow he received from Damien which knocked him out cold probably brought him back to his senses and cancelled out the control Roman placed on him. It explains why he didn't remember anything he did after he went to sleep.

A sudden chill ran down my spine as I sensed hundreds of unknown presence stepping foot in my pack with their intent clear- to kill. My warriors and fighters stayed hidden as I didn't sense any confrontation amongst them and the enemies, we had made sure to conceal our scent so as not to give our position away. They were all waiting for my command to attack.

'I wonder where my little Meryl is.' Roman taunted, pretending to look around us. I growled at him, unhappy with his use of words but was unable to move which only stirred him more. 'Knowing you, you probably hid her somewhere safe.' He continued with a knowing smile. 'Somewhere hard to find...' He rubbed his jaw as if deep in thought.

'Don't even think about laying your hands on her.' I gritted the words out, using everything in me to stay conscious and not succumb to darkness that awaits me.

Just a few minutes more... I assured myself.

I need to buy some time; I can't have him go in search of Meryl.