|Twenty eight|

Meryl

Silence blanketed the car. Unasked questions and inquisitions settled around us like a thick fog but none made a move to break the ice.

My palms felt itchy and tickly. And I realised I wanted to reach across and touch his face. His face was facing straight ahead, his eyes on the road.

Xerxes was oddly more well behaved and considerate today, when in my pack. He waited for me as I took my sweet time hugging and kissing my family members bidding my farewell.

He didn't once interrupt me or our moment. He stood beside his car, arms crossed, Damien beside him and kept his eyes on me, unwavering and tentative.

After a few departing words, Xerxes shook hands with dad, they looked like they were having a mental conversation with their eyes but I might be mistaken.

Giving a firm handshake to Oren, Xerxes kept his hand on the small of my back and led me towards his car from which he had likely travelled here. Damien followed us with his own car, trailing behind Xerxes' car.

None of us talked after that and I didn't have any clue what I was suppose to talk about despite my blubbing curiosity and concern for Lisa.

"Don't."

I was snapped out off my reverie when I heard Xerxes' strained voice. I saw his jaw visibly clenched, his hands gripping the steering wheel.

"W-What?" I whispered suddenly breathless, something about his reaction had that effect on me.

"Don't look at me like that." He wasn't even looking at me but straight ahead. Probably feeling my confusion, he added. "Like you are going to jump on me any second."

My cheeks flushed at his words. He knew I was staring. How embarrassing.

"I...I...I am sorry." What else was I suppose to say?

With a shake of his head, Xerxes' deep, promised filled voice filled the car. "I will be sorry for my actions if you keep looking at me like that."

A breathless gasp escaped my mouth and all sensible thoughts fled from me when i heard him speak what was on his mind. And what surprised me more was that I wanted him to do what was on his mind.

I was plunged into confusion by my sudden craving for Xerxes. I didn't understand my reaction and effect he have on me.

Perhaps, she's of age, his words got to do everything with how I was feeling.

I wouldn't be sure until I ask him. But I had no idea how I was supposed to start the conversation.

"What's wrong?" He grunted. His eyes briefly shifted to me before going back on the road.

Everything felt surreal yet so familiar. Xerxes was never this attentive or emphatic towards me, but it didn't feel queer instead it was comforting.

My tongue swiped over my bottom lip, moistening the dry skin.

"Umm...actually I-I wanted to a-ask you something." I fidget with the hem of my dress, eyes on my lap unable to look at him.

I braced myself for his rejection or dismissal of my inquisitions but it never came.

"What do you want to know?"

My eyes landed on him, he wasn't looking at me. His face serious and blank, like always.

I shouldn't be surprise anymore. With the way Xerxes was acting around me- being all patient and slightly concern should have prepared me for this but i was still getting used to this side of him. Which I fear wouldn't last long.