Freedom

Freedom used to mean I was free from other people, other factors of my life that were negatively impacting me. 

Freedom used to mean escaping the bullies that made it clear they did not approve of my mistakes and imperfections.

Freedom used to mean getting out of my house in order to rid myself of my brothers' bad decisions.

Freedom used to mean losing myself in a blade because that was the only way to forget why I needed one.

Freedom used to mean being in a room without judging eyes and rude remarks from people I never knew.

Freedom used to mean not having to act perfect in front of my parents because of their reaction to what makes me, me.

But Freedom is different now.

Freedom means showing authenticity and not being afraid of unimportant people's opinions on what makes me human.

Freedom means telling others how I feel and owning up to what I have done wrong, I need to take responsibility for past decisions.

Freedom means no longer carving and painting on my arms but painting on a canvas with beautiful colors.

Freedom means not consuming myself with thoughts of worry and self doubt, judgement, and low self esteem.

Freedom means not overthinking and filling myself with useless anxiety that only sets me further back.

Freedom means loving myself and not hurting me in ways that nobody else ever could, it appears I could do it better.

Freedom means getting up and not being so afraid of change, and not being so afraid of others and living a life.

Freedom means letting go of haunting memories of times that have passed, but also letting go of people who have passed.

Freedom means dealing with the criticism because it's for the better- allowing myself to grow positively.

Before, Freedom meant escaping others. Sometimes I think Freedom now means escaping myself.