Chapter 1: Who am I?

When you wake up, most people expect to wake up in a bed. Whether it be your queen-sized mattress at home, a couch, or maybe you expected a hospital bed, you usually wake up in a bed.

Not on the side of the road covered in dirt with the feeling of an unknown liquid sliding down your face. I touch my hand to my forehead and bring it back down to be met with the sight of blood.

Then the pain begins to register.

The questions hit me all at once. Why am I bleeding? What happened? Why am I on the side of the road? How did I get here? Where am I? Why can I not remember anything?

Who am I?

"Luke?!"

I didn't want to turn my head to see where the voice was coming from, yet at the same time I wanted to run and ask them what had happened. Although, most of all, I just wanted to go back to sleep. The side of my head felt like someone had hit me with a pile of bricks and the rest of my body just felt like a lesser version of that.

"Luke, oh my god, what happened?" A boy appears in front of me. If I look to the left I can see his car; he had left the door open when he ran to me.

I opened my mouth to answer him, but all that came out was coughing and a few drops of blood.

"Oh my god. We need to get you to the hospital. Oh my god." He wouldn't stop repeating that phrase over and over.

*** *** ***

"Oh my god."

See?

"Michael, he has amnesia. How am I supposed to ask him what happened if he doesn't even remember who he is?" The boy who called the hospital asked into the phone.

It's been three days since I woke up. About 36 of those hours included me being unconscious or semi-unconscious from all the painkillers and medicine they gave me.

The boy took me to his house from the hospital, at least I'm assuming that's where I am. I'm currently sitting in a quite comfortable chair while he's been on the phone talking to someone about me for the past five minutes.

"Okay...um, yeah. I'll do that." There was a pause. "No, that's definitely not a good idea."

He looked over at me. He just stared at me in concentration before finally saying, "Okay, I'll talk to you later. Bye." He said, before hanging up and slowly setting down the phone.

"So...." He trailed off, taking a seat across from me.

"Uh..." I started to speak, but then realized how dry my throat felt. "Water?" My voice came out raspy.

"What?" He didn't understand me, so instead I just pointed at the sink, hoping he'll get the message.

"Oh!" He stood up quickly, rushing over to the fridge and pulling out a bottle of water.

He handed it to me, "Here." He said.

I drank it quickly, not realizing how thirsty I really was.

"Thank you." I said, the first full words I've spoken since waking up.

"It's nothing." He said, sitting down again. "So, I'm assuming you'd like to know who you are." He said with an attempted smile.

"That would be nice." I responded.

"Well, your name is Luke Hemmings-"

"Hemmings?"

"Yes,"

"Like...with two M's?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Yes." He nodded, "You're Luke Hemmings, with two m's. You're nineteen, will be twenty soon. We live in the city of Manson, USA."

I'm not sure what else to tell you. How about, you ask any questions you might have, and I'll try to answer them." He suggested.

"Okay. First of all, who are you?" I asked.

"Oh my god....how could I forget..." He groaned, "I'm Calum Hood, with two O's. I'm kind of your best friend." He chuckled.

I smiled back, "Oh, okay. So, who's Michael? The one that you were talking with on the phone?" I asked, out of curiosity.

"He's our other friend. Basically like the third member in our small little group." Calum said jokingly.

"Is there anyone else?" I asked, and this time I noticed Calum tense up slightly.

"Oh, no...uh, no. J-just us three." He stuttered.

I didn't understand why he looked so nervous, but he had seemed nervous since the first moment I saw him, so I did not pay much attention to it.

"So, what about my family?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

My attempt didn't work well at all, because Calum only paled more.

"Well...uh-"

At that moment, I heard the doorbell ring.

Calum shot up from his chair, mumbling a quick 'I'll get it' before rushing to the door.

I just sat there, waiting patiently in my seat.

I heard the from door open, and then the heavy footsteps of someone coming inside.

I heard Calum's voice as it slowly increased as he got closer.

"Thank god you're here. I have no idea what to say..." Calum stopped talking when the two of them entered the kitchen.

I looked at the boy next to him. He was tall, wearing tight black skinny jeans, and had bright red hair that faded into black on the ends.

"Um....hi?"

"Hey Luke." He said casually, taking the seat next to me at the table. "How's it goin'?" He asked.

"Uh...Alright, all things considered." I didn't know how to respond.

"Luke, this is Michael. Michael Clifford, with two F's." Calum said the second sentence jokingly, and Michael looked between the two of us, confused.

"I'm sure he could have figured that out himself, Calum." Michael turned to face him.

Calum shrugged, "You never know." He sent me a smug grin, and I just turned away.

Well excuse me for wanting to know how my last name is spelled.

"Anyway..." Michael turned back to me, "So, Luke, I'm here to tell you everything you need to know because Calum here is a big overreacting baby." He said all in one breath.

"Hey-" Calum started to protest, but Michael cut him off.

"Alright, what do you want to know?" Michael asked seriously, and I decided to go with what I had asked before.

"Where's my family?" I asked cautiously, noticing how Calum was staring intently at Michael.

"You have a mom, dad, two older brothers, and a dog named Molly. You moved out as soon as you were eighteen, and don't speak with your parents anymore. Let's just say you and your family aren't on the best terms right now."

My eyes widened at his answer. I hadn't expected him to give such a straightforward answer. I don't think Calum was expected it either, since his jaw was practically on the table.

"Next question?" Michael asked, unfazed by our reactions.

I liked this guy.

"Oh, right. Um, what do I like to do? Like-"

"This is mainly up to you, but before the accident, you were into action and also really girly movies. You have forced me into watching 'Mean Girls' at least ten times." Michael chuckled at that, "But..what you really love is music. We all do, actually. You've played the guitar ever since you were little and we all have our own large collection of CDs. For your eighteenth birthday we took you to an All Time Low concert."

And, you are also really into comics and superheroes. You always dress up as a different one for Halloween, and I am convinced you have a secret supply of actions figures hidden somewhere. One time, you and Ash-"

Calum started coughing loudly, interrupting Michael. "I think he gets it. Lets move on to the next question." He said, the whole time glaring at Michael.