Chapter 9: Why do you look so nervous?

"Who do you think this is?" Calum asked, holding up another photo.

"Um...my mom." I answered, seeing some resemblance to the woman in the picture.

"Correct. Good job." Calum said, handing me the picture, which was my reward if I guessed them correctly.

That was my first one I've gotten to keep.

I felt proud of myself.

"Okay, who's this?" Calum held up another picture out of the box.

"My....dad?" I asked, unsure.

"No, that's your brother." Calum said, laughing slightly.

"Woah, he looks old." I said, looking at the man and the woman in the photograph.

"That's your brother Jack, and his wife. You have two older brothers." Calum told me.

"Oh, who's the other one?" I asked.

"You'll find out when you get to his picture." Calum responded playfully, and I glared playfully back at him.

"Alright, who's this?"

"My dad...?" I asked, a bit more certain this time.

Calum nodded, "Yes. Good job." He handed me the picture.

I smiled to myself. Two down, the rest of the box to go.

***

It was Sunday now. The day after Calum took me to the doctor's for a check up.

Calum had to work today. Michael was still ignoring me, of course.

I had just come back from taking Ashley on a walk, and was currently laying on the couch reading one of the books Calum had gotten for me.

Suddenly, the front door was slamming open, and Calum was rushing inside, his cell phone pressed against his ear.

"What is it-" he cut me off by pressing a finger to my lips.

He set the phone on the coffee table, and pressed the speaker button as he sat down next to me.

"-found him burning photographs of them. We don't even have a fireplace! He was using the stove, Calum! I'm worried about him! It's like he's trying to erase every single memory of Luke."

It was Michael's voice, and I'm guessing he's talking about Ashton.

Funny. I'm trying to find out more about him, and he's trying to forget about me.

"I'm sorry if you don't want me to, Calum, but I'm bringing him over. He needs to see him. Or else...or else he might convince himself Luke never existed. He's already talking like, like he never met him and it's- it's scaring me, Cal. I'm sorry, I have to. We have to fix this."

What?

"Michael's bringing Ashton here. They should be here any minute." Calum said, looking scared and nervous at the same time.

*=*=*=*

Michael's P.O.V.

"Come on, Ash." I said, picking up my car keys.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"To Calum's. We haven't been there in a while." I answered simply.

"Oh, okay." Ashton said, cheery as always.

"Michael, why do you look so nervous?" Ashton asked, looking at my shaking hand as I reached for the doorknob.