Chapter 20: How long have I been gone?

*** Ashton's P.O.V. ***

"You're here!" My mum exclaimed, opening the front door and pulling me into her arms.

"Hi mum." I said, smiling into her embrace.

"Oh my gosh, I didn't know you were coming back so soon. What a great surprise. Oh! I still need to tell Lauren and Harry! Hold on, let me go find them." She said, and pulled away from me to go find my two siblings.

I entered my old house, pulling the door shut behind me. While waiting for my mother to get back, I pulled out my phone.

Michael had sent me a few more messages. Most of them saying more about how I'm an idiot and I need to talk with Luke, not run away from my problems.

He's wrong, though. I knew he wouldn't understand, that's why I didn't tell him in person. I knew he'd try to talk me out of it, or wouldn't let me leave.

I had to go. It's for the best. I know Luke will remember within the time I'm gone. During that time, I'll be trying to erase any romantic feelings I've ever had for him. It'll be best for the both of us. He can move on and find someone who he doesn't have such a bad history with, and by then, I should no longer have any feelings towards him.

It'll work out better this way. This way, maybe we can go back to being friends. Maybe he'll find some reason to forgive me. Maybe...we can go back to the way we were.

What am I thinking? Of course that's never going to happen. Too much has happened between then and now.

Maybe....just maybe, we could become friends again, but in order for that to happen, I can't feel this way about him anymore.

"Ashton!" Shortly after hearing that, I was tackled and fell to the ground.

"Hey little bro." I said, smiling at my brother.

"Hi." He smiled back, and my eyes widened in surprise as I noticed something.

"Did your voice get deeper?" I asked him.

He nodded, "Yeah, I sound cool now."

I chuckled. "How long have I been gone?" I asked, just now noticing the pimples on his face and the small, barely noticeable bit of stubble by his upper lip.

"Too long." My sister answered my question, and I stood up from the ground to pull her into a hug.

"I'm sorry for not visiting sooner. I've missed you guys." I told them, and frowned when I felt my shirt dampen a bit.

"Lauren...please don't cry." I said, rubbing her back.

"I'm sorry, I'm not sad I'm just- I'm so happy you're back." She said, holding onto me tighter.

"I'm sorry. I promise next time to Skype and FaceTime more, and I'll visit as often as I can. If I can get the money, that is."

"We'll send you money." My mom spoke up. "You don't have to use your money, we just want you to visit more."

"Don't leave again." Lauren said, looking up at me. It was so hard to look at her wet, red cheeks and not start crying myself.

"I'm staying for a week." I told them. "I'm going back after my birthday. I'll get to spend that with you guys."

Lauren shook her head. "That's not long enough."

"Well...I could stay a week longer, I guess."

"Yes! Yes! Please?" Harry exclaimed, appearing next to Lauren.

I looked at my hopeful little brother. Then at my sister smiling pleadingly at me, her eyes still red and glossy. Finally, I glanced at my mom, who seemed to be looking at me with a mix of both those expressions. She looked as though she was about to burst into tears, yet at the same time looked extremely happy and hopeful like Harry.