Chapter 5: Who's Ashton?

I really should be more careful with what I say around Calum.

I swear, he must have stopped breathing for at least three minutes. As soon as I asked that question, he just froze. Not even uttering out an 'oh my god', which kind of scared me to be honest.

"Calum? Hey, are you alright?" I waved a hand in front of his face, and he blinked, like he had been woken up from whatever kind of trance he was in.

"Ye-yeah I'm fine. I think I just heard you wrong." He said, and I didn't correct him, only because I'm worried he'll have a panic attack if I told him the truth.

What had happened with Ashton? The question was killing me and no matter how much I searched my brain, I still couldn't remember a thing.

"I think I'm going to bed. Night, Luke." Calum said, standing up from the couch and walking away towards his room with a small wave.

That night, I went to sleep with a hundred questions buzzing around in my mind.

Who is Ashton?

How do I know him?

Why is Calum so afraid to tell me about him?

What did he do?

Why did I hate him?

I guess I'll just have to ask Michael tomorrow. He'll answer me.

One thing I liked most about Michael, is even though I barely knew who I am, he still takes me seriously. If I have a question, he'll give me an answer without hesitation. I know I can trust him to answer my questions.

***

"Who's Ashton?"

"Where did you hear that name from?" Michael asked, seeming shocked and slightly angry.

"Yesterday, I saw him at-"

"You met him?!"

"Yeah, he wouldn't tell me who he was though, so I just looked on his nametag. Who is he?"

"Wait a second, you're telling me you saw and spoke to Ashton?" Michael asked again.

I rolled my eyes, "Yes, I said that already."

"No wonder he acted so strange yesterday..." Michael whispered to himself under his breath. I don't think I was supposed to hear him, but I did.

"Would you please just tell me who he is?" I asked, getting tired of repeating myself.

Michael sighed, "Luke..." He said, and the way he said it was what alarmed me.

"No. Don't tell me you're not going to tell me anything, either. Come on, Michael. I need to know."

He looked away from me, and I could tell my words were affecting him. Finally, he said,

"Luke, I can't tell you. I really, really want to, believe me. But...what happened with Ashton is one of those things you have to remember on your own. And if you never remember, then you're going to have to ask him, because I don't even know." He said, and I groaned, throwing my head back.

"How am I going to ask him, then? He ran away from me last time I tried to talk to him."

"Well... I- I know where you can find him." Michael said, sounding reluctant for the first time since I can remember. Which isn't that much.

"Really? And you'll tell me?" I questioned, and he nodded.

"Yeah. We- we're kind of...roommates."