Chapter 35: What did you say?

Third Person P.O.V.

(Two months after Luke's been in the hospital, one week since we last left off)

________________

Ashton walked into Calum's kitchen, casually grabbing the milk from the fridge, and pouring himself a bowl of cereal. After spending so much time there, he knew where everything was by now. Michael had basically moved into Calum's house, not wanting to leave his boyfriend alone, and Ashton stayed there as well, not wanting to be alone himself.

Things have been getting better, for all of them. Things are finally starting to become more normal. Well, as normal as they can be with their friend in the mental part of the hospital, and Ashton and Michael now living in Calum's house. Not to forget, of course, Ashley, who was almost full-grown now and had thankfully stopped her jumping habit. Although, she has picked up the new hobby of biting and ripping apart everything to pieces.

Everything felt...normal. It was almost like they had gone back in back to how they were when Luke spent all his time with Rebecca. Sometimes, Calum tries to pretend everything is how it was. Luke happily engaged to Rebecca, or so they all thought. Ashton working at the CD shop that no one but him really liked. Michael and Calum still in that awkward stage of wanting to be together, but thinking it won't work out. Calum tries to pretend this is how it is again, but one look at Ashton or Michael sends him straight back into reality.

Ashton sat down at the kitchen table, across from Calum who wasn't eating anything, just scrolling through his phone as he waited for Michael to wake up.

The hand that Ashton wasn't using to eat his cereal tapped nervously on his knee. One thought that has been on his mind ever since Luke was admitted to the hospital still lingered, and he felt the urge to ask now.

"H-hey Ca-Calum?" He finally got the nerve to say something.

Calum looked up from his phone screen, wondering why Ashton seemed so anxious all of a sudden.

"Yeah?" Calum responded cautiously.

"Do...do you think I- I could, maybe...probably not. You know- I'll just- nevermind. Forget I said anything." Ashton gave up on his words.

"No, no, tell me what you were going to say. You're acting different, what's wrong?" Calum asked, suddenly concerned about the older boy.

"Well I- I was just wondering if I could, maybe, try and go see Luke again? I know the last time didn't go so well but, I-I want too-"

"Ashton," Calum cut him off, "Luke wasn't ready for any visitors last time. He wasn't taking anyone, it had nothing to do with you. If you want to see him that's fine, I'm sure he'll let you. It's visiting day anyway, right? It's August eleventh, so...yeah, it is. Come on, let's go. I'll leave Michael a note."

"You don't have to, I can drive myself." Ashton finished his breakfast, and stood up from his chair.

"I know, but you probably don't know your way around the hospital. I can just show you where to go, if you want to talk with Luke alone."

"Do you think...." Ashton looked at his hands, tapping his fingers together nervously. "Do you think he'll want...to talk to me? I mean, it's kind of my fault that he's in there-"

"It is not your fault." Ashton was surprised by Calum's sudden change in tone, going from sympathetic to demanding in the blink of an eye. "Don't ever say it was your fault. It's not. It's not his fault, or your fault or anyone's fault but that bitch that did this to him, but we're not going to bring her up in front of him. He's getting better and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter whose fault it was or who put him in there, okay? Now, get ready. I'll be waiting in the car." Calum said.