Chapter 2: What's this place?

Calum let me sleep in his guest bedroom for the time being. In the second morning after my release from the hospital, Michael woke me up and said he was going to show me around the town while Calum was at work.

After eating a small breakfast, I went into the guest bathroom and brushed my teeth and hair. My hair was extra stubborn and would not stay down. I got dressed and met Michael in the living room.

He looked at me, then did a double take.

"What?" I asked, looking over my appearance. I was only wearing a pair of skinny jeans and an old T-shirt I had found in the guest closet. Nothing seemed to stand out.

"Nothing...it's just, you haven't worn your hair like that in a while." He said, looking the blonde that fell across my forehead.

"I haven't?" I asked, playing with the strands. "That could be why it was so hard to style."

"Yeah...anyway, ready to get going?" He asked, shaking off his shock as if it were never there.

"Yeah, I think so." I said, and followed him out the door.

*

"This is the movie theatre that we usually go to. They have unreasonable prices and itchy seats. I've always hated it but you and Calum would constantly drag me along." he said, playfully punching me in the shoulder.

Michael completely ignored the next building we passed, which was strange because so far he's had something to say about every single place we've gone by.

Choosing to ask about it myself, I said, "What's this place?" I stopped walking and pointed at the small shop.

"It's just an old, run down CD shop." He explained, and I just shrugged before running to catch up to him.

"Now, here is the bakery......"

*

"So, Luke, what'd you think of the town?" Calum asked me from where he was standing by the stove. He was cooking tacos while I was setting the table.

"It's...small, but I like it."

"Yep, it's definitely small. This town was built on a clearing in the woods, and is completely surrounded by trees. The only way in and out of the city, without walking through the woods, is by taking the bridge."

Michael walked into the room, his hair damp from just taking a shower. He was wearing a long-sleeved shirt with a pair of Calum's sweats.

"Is that the bride were you found me?" I questioned before thinking. As soon as I asked it I remembered how saddened Calum becomes whenever he thinks about the accident.

"Yeah," is all he says. He and Michael share a look before the two of them take a seat at the table.

"Smells good." Michael says, thankfully changing the subject for Calum's sake.

"So do you." Calum responded with, passing the food out on the table.

"I was talking about the food." Michael said, adding an eye roll at the end. The three of us all started filling our plates.

"Have you been using that shampoo I got you?" Calum asked him, causing Michael to roll his eyes again.

"One, it's for women. Two, I'm not going bald. And three...yes, I have been using it." Michael answered with an eye roll.

"Good." Calum said with a smug grin, and I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle.

Michael turned to me, "He treats me like a child, I swear."