Chapter 40: Luke?

Luke's P.O.V.

___________________

(Ten days later....)

I can't say I'm surprised, really.

I mean, I knew she wasn't happy. I knew how hard it must have been for her, to be left twice after she thought she had everything she wanted.

It's just hard to believe that she would do this. That she would take her own life. And from what I know so far, it happened the day I talked to her. Her last words were to me, and I can barely remember what they are. I'm guessing it was something like 'goodbye' or 'good luck', but I can't remember anything specific.

I watched as they lowered the coffin into the ground, holding my baby girl in my arms. Ash and I still haven't decided on a name for them yet, but we've come up with a few ideas so far.

Family members of her stood around, crying as they waited one by one to drop a single white rose onto her coffin before it was buried. I almost wanted to scoff at the irony that only months ago these people wanted nothing to do with her, after finding out about her girlfriend. She was practically dead to them then, and now that she is dead, they pretend to care. When it no longer matters.

I bet they don't even know why she died. I bet all they know is she jumped off a bridge, but not why. They will most likely never know, never understand.

I don't even fully understand all that she went through. Having to raise two kids for a months that weren't even hers. Having to make sure they were born by being there for her ex girlfriend who she currently wanted nothing to do with. Having to find out said ex girlfriend was pregnant with not only someone else's kids, not only her ex fiancé's kids, but having to find out her girlfriend was pregnant with the kids of her ex fiancé kids whom she rāped.

If I'm being honest, I understand why she did it.

But that doesn't make it any less difficult to realize she's gone forever.

"What are you doing here?" A voice asked from behind me.

I turned around, coming face to face with the woman I partially recognized as my mother.

"What are you doing here?" I countered, using the same tone of disbelief and disgust.

"I'm a family friend, and I've known Rebecca for more than half of her life. I care for her and it's very heartbreaking to see her go. Whereas you, you cheated on her with a man, you corrupted her into thinking she too had your disease, and now you- you show up at her funeral with god-knows-who's child. This is extremely-"

"Absurd? I know. The woman who might have at once been my mother telling me I can't be at the funeral of someone who has forgiven me and thanked me for stopping something that never would have worked. Someone whose last words were to me, whose last moments on this earth were spent giving me this child who might not have been born if it weren't for her. If that's not a good enough reason to be allowed at her funeral, then what's yours? You knew her? Barely. You care about her? Lie. You, and the rest of her family weren't there when she needed you most, and she sure as hell doesn't need you now."

She gasped, shock, fury, and offense showing on her features.

"How dare you! I can't believe what's happened to you. You used to be such a good child and now you're just this- this disgrace! You have no idea how disappointed I am in-"

"What's going on here?" Ashton asked suddenly, appearing beside me, one hand at the bottom of my back, baby boy in the other.

"And you brought him too? The one who-"