Chapter 6: A dog?

It was like torture, waiting for Michael to come back.

He went home last night after our conversation, not even staying for dinner like usual.

He told me yesterday he'd go and talk to Ashton, and today he's supposed to tell me what he says. I can't help but feel a little bit anxious.

"You should do something."

"I would, but my eyes can't seem to move from the door." I tell Calum, making a point by staring at the door.

"A watched pot will never boil."

I turned to look at Calum, "What?"

"It's a metaphor." He shrugged, giving me a small smile and moving to sit next to me on the couch. "It means, Michael won't come if you keep watching that door."

I scoffed playfully, "He'll come eventually, and by staring at the door I'll know exactly when that is." I said, and Calum chuckled softly.

"You do that, then. I hope you don't die of boredom." He stood up, grabbing his phone and wallet off the table.

"Where are you going?" I asked him.

He smiled, "I'm getting a dog. Wanna come with?" He asked.

"A dog?" I answered his question with a question.

"Yeah, this house is too quiet. This way you'll have someone to keep you company when both Michael and I are working. So...since you'll be around it most, would you like to come and pick out a dog?" He asked, his smile growing.

I looked at him, then at the door. I repeated the action at least three times before finally saying,

"Alright."

***

"Luke! Luke! Come look at this one!" Calum yelled from across the store.

I rolled my eyes, and patted the black lab's head one more time before walking over to Calum.

He was standing in front of a White Siberian Husky, and I had to admit, it was really cute.

"Let's get this one." He said.

"I don't know..."

"Please." He pleaded, looking at me with wide eyes.

"Yeah, sure. I was only joking. It's your money anyway." I said, shrugging.

"Very true." He nodded at my words, then turned to look at the puppy with the bright blue eyes. "You look like a sweetheart."

"Are you looking to adopt?" A worker came up beside us, and Calum stood up straight, nodding.

"Yeah, we want this one." He said.

"Alright," She responded, opening up the cage and letting the puppy out, after clipping a leash on it's collar. "If you'll come this way with me to fill out the paperwork." She said, and we followed her to the front counter to fill out the adoption papers.

When we were done, she handed us the official adoption certificate, along with some other papers that I wasn't listening well enough to remember.

"There you go, she's all yours."

"Thank you, Luke, you wanna hold her?" Calum asked, looking at me.

"Yeah, of course." I said, picking up the puppy, and cradling her in my arms.

"You two make such a cute couple." The girl gushed, and both Calum and I's faces instantly heated up.

"Oh, uh no-"