Chapter 25: Is that what this is about?

Luke's P.O.V.

_____________

I looked around the room, again. Still searching for the same boy with curly blonde hair and gorgeous hazel/green eyes.

"I told you, I don't think he's going to be here." Michael said to me, again.

"I know I just-" I looked towards the front door again, "want to double check." I said distractedly.

"You've double-checked nearly thirty times now," He said. "This is your party. All your friends are here, have some fun."

"Yeah...you're right. I guess I should....yeah." I walked over to the snack table. Which had a large variety of drinks to choose from, unlike the food, which was all pizza.

"You know, I thought you were joking about the only having pizza thing." I said to Michael.

"I was," He responded. "We got you cake, too." He said, and I just laughed.

"Good to know." I said, and Michael soon became distracted with something across the room.

"I'll be right back..." He said, already walking away. I glanced back, and saw Michael walking towards Calum who was standing on a chair trying to get a balloon untangled from the ceiling fan.

I rolled my eyes, about to turn back to the refreshments when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

I was going to ignore it. I had only taken it out to silence it, but then my eyes caught sight of the caller ID.

There was nothing special about it, it was just a number. Yet something inside me told me to answer it.

"...Hello?" I answered hesitantly.

A pause, "Hey.." Another pause, "It's me." He said.

"Ashton?" I asked, hope and dread filling me at the same time.

"Yeah." He said, softly.

"Sorry, I can't hear you." I told him, walking towards Calum's guest bedroom that I have claimed as my own.

I entered the room, and shut the door behind me.

"Okay, better." I told him.

Then, it was silent on both ends of the line. I had just realized that I hadn't talked to him in over two weeks. Nearly three. I remember having so much to say to him, but now it feels like I don't know what to say.

He was the first one to break the silence,

"I'm sorry." He said.

"What? Why are you sorry?" I asked him, sitting down on the bed.

"I know...you'll probably hate me, even more than you do already..."

"What?"

"...but I need to do this. For the both of us. It'll work better this way."

"What'll work? What? What are you talking about?" I asked, feeling extremely lost and confused.

"I...I'm not coming back, Luke. I know...you'll probably be upset...but please, just try to understand-"

"Okay."

"Okay?" He sounded shocked, confused.

"Okay. I get that this is a joke now. Very funny. I must not have a good sense of humour because I'm not laughing, but haha. Okay now, what's the real reason that you called?"

"I...that is the reason, Luke. I'm serious."

"No," I said, laughing in a forced, mad way. "No, you're not. You are coming back, you have to. You can't just- you can't just leave me like that, Ashton!"