Chapter 7: Who's Luke Hemmings?

Michael didn't come back the next day, even though Calum had to work.

I think he's mad at me.

Oh well, at least I had Ashley to keep me company.

Turns out, she really likes jumping.

She kept jumping onto my bed, and the couch, which I thought were normal dog things. But then she tried jumping on the coffee table, which I didn't think was normal.

Not only that, but the moment she sees a single human being, she runs up and jumps at them. Kinda like she did to Michael.

It's not a big problem, for now. Since she's only a puppy, and she's small. I can only hope that she doesn't jump as much when she gets bigger.

Right now, I was holding up a squeaky bouncy ball in the air, and, of course, she was jumping up while trying to get it.

She really likes jumping.

After a while, I got tired of the ball game, and I was getting a little hungry. So, I hooked Ashley up to her leash, grabbed some of the money Calum left me, and my phone, then walked out the door.

I walked around for a while, making sure not to get lost, and managed to find a little cafe that had an outdoor patio so you could sit outside with your dog.

I just got a cheeseburger, fries, and a Coke, and ate my food silently as Ashley tried jumping onto the table.

When I was done eating, I paid for the food, and began the walk home.

That day, I had decided to go all the way to SandBay. Since Calum said I used to live here, I wanted to see if anything sparked a memory or something. I walked past some apartment buildings, trying to see if any of them looked familiar.

Sadly, none of them gave me that feeling of familiarity. Like how it did when I saw Ashton.

I had just about given up, when I passed by a reception hall.

And then, I got that feeling.

I looked at the plain, brick building.

Of all places, why here? Why is a reception hall making me have this strange sense of deja vu?

A reception hall is a place for gatherings or parties. Was there a party here? Have I been to a party here before? Was it a birthday party? Wedding reception? Family reunion?

Sadly, I just couldn't figure it out. The sense of familiarity started, and stopped with just this feeling in the pit of my stomach. There were no flashbacks, no pictures of the past, no dramatic montage where the character regains memory.

It was just a plain brick building that I know I've seen before, but I don't know when or why.

***

Calum showed up at the usual time, that night.

"Michael never showed up." I told him, tossing the ball up in the air for Ashley to catch.

"Yeah, he's kind of pissed at you."

"Why? I'm sorry for making it seem like it's all about me, but maybe if I knew I could apologize to Ashton for...whatever I did."

Calum shook his head, "It's not that easy Luke. What happened was...bad. And no matter what, Michael will always take Ashton's side. They've always been best friends, just like how you and I have always been best friends."

"Oh...how'd we meet then? Like, when did we meet Ashton and Michael?" I asked.

"Actually, you met Ashton first. I'm not sure when, but the two of you became friends, then he introduced you to Mikey, and you introduce me to him. After that, we all just sort of became friends and it was like our own little group."