one condition || jenlisa

Soulmate AU-Everyone hears the occasional stray thought from their soulmate-more of a glimpse into their mind than anything else. Unfortunately for her, Jennie seems to have gotten the strangest, most irritating soulmate ever and seriously who the hell sings Barbie Girl at three in the morning?

-

Jennie is eight years old the first time she hears one of her soulmate's thoughts. The reason she's sure that it's not one of hers at first is because of how utterly strange it is.

One moment she's peacefully reading a book and another she's hearing: I wonder how many jellybeans I can shove up my nose for later without mom noticing.

Jennie's first thought is concern as to what her soulmate means by later. What are her plans with these jellybeans? Why is she shoving them up her nose? What if they get stuck?

It's years later that Jennie realizes it doesn't matter what the exact context of that quote was, because there are so many odd ones that she begins to lose track.

Honestly, that first thought really sets the tone for their entire relationship.

-

The next time Jennie hears from her soulmate she's afraid it's going to be the last.

At first it's just an image from what looks like the roof of a house. It's at least a thirty-foot drop and Jennie wonders why this is the image she's receiving right now.

A moment later it all makes sense when she hears, "I hope this parachute's gonna be good enough. I used lots of duct tape, it should be good, right?"

Needless to say, Jennie's alarmed, because her soulmate is about to jump off a roof with a parachute that apparently has a lot of duct tape on it.

Jennie doesn't hear anything more about that situation from her soulmate after that and Jennie wonders if her soulmate has somehow managed to kill herself already. That would just be so typical.

But no, Jennie would feel if her soulmate died of falling from a roof, right?

-

The confirmation that her soulmate is not in fact dead comes a few days later in the form of another thought. Jennie's honestly surprised she heard from her again so soon, the last two experiences were almost a year apart.

It's another thought this time, something that her soulmate is considering.

I wonder if I can make this coat hanger into a leg-scratcher that'll fit in the cast.

Jennie is relieved at first, that her soulmate is alive, then she's kind of disappointed in her, because she apparently managed to break something in her antics and is now being just as dumb as ever.

Jennie rolls her eyes. How is it that she got stuck with this kid as her soulmate?

-

Jennie hears the song Barbie Girl by Aqua for the first time through her soulmate. Jennie is ten at the time and she's peacefully just minding her own business when it happens.

I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie woooorld. Life in plastic, it's fantastic.

Jennie freezes and she's still new to this whole soulmate thing, so at first she thinks that maybe she's finally snapped and this is what her mind has come up with. Then, he realizes a moment later that it isn't her voice singing this, and then she realizes that it's her soulmate that's insane.

You can brush my hair, undress me everywheeerre.

Jennie realizes later when she hears it on the radio that her soulmate is just annoying, but at least not to the extent where she makes up barbie songs. Just sings them.