the red mark || chaelisa

Based off the prompt "AU: every time someone falls in love they get a red line on their wrist".

-

Lalisa Manoban has a clean left wrist when she meets Park Chaeyoung, who happens to have two red marks on hers, during their time as trainees at YG Entertainment. It's proper to shake someone's hand when you meet them and almost everyone shakes with their left hand so that they can check out how many tallies are on their new acquaintance's wrist. It's just one of those things. People will always be curious. Most of the time this is never a conversation starter, unless someone has lots and lots of red marks, or none at all. Lisa has gotten used to people commenting about her "misfortune" of not falling in love yet, so when Chaeyoung's eyes trail to her wrist, then back to meet her gaze, Lisa is completely shocked that she doesn't say anything about it. Her face must have shown that she was expecting something though, because Chaeyoung lets out a laugh, "Did I miss something?"

Lisa quickly drops her hand and stutters, "No, no, I just - I'm just used to people giving me crap for not having any marks."

"I think you're lucky."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Love's complicated. You should keep it that way," Chaeyoung responds, nodding at her wrist.

Lisa notices just how pretty Chaeyoung's eyes are and then she wonders just how easy its going to be to keep her wrist blank.

...

They go back to YG before their debut, and the day after they fly in, Chaeyoung calls Lisa.

"What are you doing?"

"Um, honestly? Or should I make up an exciting lie?"

"Truth," Chaeyoung's voice echoes out of the earpiece.

"Sitting on Tumblr," Lisa mumbles, laughing to herself at how boring her life is.

"I'm picking you up in literally five minutes. Come outside."

Chaeyoung's there in four minutes and fourty-three seconds, actually, but its not like the younger girl was counting in her head or anything.

"You're early," Lisa comments when she hops into the passenger seat.

"Surprised to see me?"

Chaeyoung's joking when she asks, but the other girl's response is serious.

"Yeah, actually."

"Really?"

"I mean, I figured you would have cooler people to hang out with once we arrived. I kinda thought you might just be friends with me because we were stuck in this group together," Lisa says nonchalantly.

Chaeyoung frowns, "Seriously? That's ridiculous. You're honestly my best friend, you're stuck with me."

Chaeyoung reaches over and squeezes Lisa's hand, without removing her gaze from the road, and the younger girl squeezes back.

...

After they debut, the girls spend a lot of time in Seoul and every time they are there, they relax in their shared dorm. Chaeyoung has the room in the very back of the house, so naturally, Lisa picks the room next to hers. When they have days off they usually spend their time reading, sprawled out on Chaeyoung's bed, stealing glances at each other over the tops of their books.

Well, maybe Lisa is the only one stealing glances, but sometimes she's met by brown eyes and it makes the butterflies in her stomach even worse. She really, really likes Chaeyoung. There's no denying that. But the fact that she still doesn't have any marks on her wrist is both comforting and disappointing. Its comforting because she's not like, secretly in love with her best friend or anything, but its disappointing because she's never felt this way about anyone before, but apparently that's not even love. She doubts she's ever going to get a red line at this rate.