i said i'd hold your hand || jensoo

In the beginning, Jisoo was best friends with Kai. Through Jisoo, Jennie and Kai became friends, eventually realizing that they were falling for each other. In a world of harsh things, Jennie has to bite her tongue and confess to Kai she isn't in love with him. The one for her is Jisoo. It's always been Jisoo.

-

As soon as she gets a glimpse of the room, Jisoo stumbles backwards and turns around only to get caught up in the sight of Kai and Jennie sitting on the stairs leading up to the next floor. They're both watching her despite speaking to each other, shoulders dropped, fingers on each other's knees, coats next to them on the banister. Without thinking, she pads over to them, mind still whirring and limbs trembling. She ignores their hesitant hellos, brushes their shoulders, and sits down a couple of steps above them, out of hearing distance, but near enough for them to blink at her in bewilderment.

"You alright?" Kai calls, his dark eyes filled with worry. His hair eyes seem darker than before.

Jisoo nods and avoids his gaze, getting stuck on Jennie's clumped lashes, her sore lips, her dishevelled hair. She has clearly been crying, has clearly opened her heart and soul to Kai, and Jisoo all but interrupted them just because she can't set foot into a room that's buzzing with the voices of joyful people. "Don't, uh, mind me, I'm just... catching my breath."

"No, no, we were... we were uh... we were done anyway," Jennie says, and Jisoo instantly remembers last week when she was the one complaining to Chaeyoung about how in love she was with Jennie, and Jennie had walked up to them, grin fading as she had seen Jisoo's emotional state. This is something completely different. And it's not like they hadn't felt comfortable around each other before, it's not like she hadn't thought about kissing Jennie here and then, but right now she feels a soft tugging at her heart, as if they were connected by the string of a violin or something equally as delicate.

"Please don't stop because of me, I literally just need to sit down. I don't wanna..."

"Didn't want to say hi, hm?" Kai smirks, that was part of their thing. Before Jennie and Kai became invested in each other, Jisoo and Kai had that dynamic. The kind that only two best friends could have. Kai saw that Jisoo wasn't doing too great, aside from his own suffering and realization that the girl he loves, is in fact in love with Jisoo.

"Sorry."

Jennie rolls her red rimmed eyes, then pats the space next to her. "C'mon, share your suffering with us. Is it the party?"

The party is hosted by Irene, once again and it's the only time the majority of the younger idols get the chance to get together, everyone's been talking about it, everyone's agreed to come, everyone's in that tiny room, laughing, drinking. Music is simmering in the few spaces between the bodies, air thick and impenetrable, a wall to keep her out. Jisoo stares at the back of a head that looks familiar, and then slides down until she's at a level with Jennie and Kai. It's mostly her trembling fingers that make her hide her hands between her thighs, but it's also the sudden urge to grip the collar of Jennie's shirt and pull her in.

"I don't really like big crowds."

Kai chuckles, the sound almost inaudible in the noise of the building. "Sure, you don't."

"No, I mean like... uhm. It's so. Sudden. And, like. There."

There's another snort from Kai, but Jennie hums and her eyes are still so so bright in contrast to the red circles beneath them and her bottom lip is shiny and the curve of her neck is beautiful and her expression is so, so understanding. "I'll hold your hand. We can go in there together, all three of us. Like a threesome."

It genuinely makes her laugh, which makes her muscles ease a little, something Jennie observes with a smile, so she pretends to relax further, slumps down a bit. "You don't have to do that."