inhuman || chaesoo

Jisoo is confronted by the overwhelmingly cute lady at her gym.

-

"I have a theory, and it's rude."

Jisoo could hear the woman's voice clear as a bell, and while she feigns obstructed hearing as she tugs her earbuds free, her surprised expression is genuine. "Excuse me?"

The woman looks extra beautiful today. She always looks beautiful - stunning, really. Not that Jisoo, like, notices her day-to-day beauty or anything. That would be creepy. Jisoo tries very hard not to be a creep, as a rule. But empirically hot people make that harder.

It was two weeks ago that the woman had first started coming to the gym. Jisoo had been on the treadmill - working on moderating her speed, forcing her breath out in a steady mock-labored huff, concentrating on the force her feet applied to the tread beneath her - when she glanced up. The cardio machines faced windows looking out over Seoul, but late at night, they may as well be mirrored to the well-lit interior. Which is how she had seen the woman enter the room.

She looked a little nervous and really uncomfortable, in her short running shorts and her loose sweatshirt. She stepped onto the machine dead center between Jisoo and the far wall, and stared at the console long enough that Jisoo almost talked herself into volunteering to explain how it worked... But she saw that the woman got it, slowly working from a fast walk to a run. Jisoo grinned to herself, and then became aware that the treadmill was smoking faintly from the force she was absently applying to it. Sheepish, she told herself to pay attention to her feet.

Jisoo tried to tell herself that her absent focus was because, well, here was a sweet person trying to learn How To Gym. Jisoo could certainly empathize with that - in a very, very different way. Jisoo watched the woman walk away from the machine after 20 minutes, looking over at the weight machines, reading their instructions carefully, before giving them a try, her movements shy and thoughtful.

Jisoo wound down every day at the gym, putting in 45 minutes on the treadmill while listening to her podcasts. The woman came every other day. Jisoo was impressed by her commitment in the face of her apparent newness to it all, and was oddly proud as she noticed her sets go longer, her weights get heavier, her gait on the treadmill more sure.

Jisoo fantasized often about saying something, but was just chicken-shit enough to ever go through with it.

Which is why she is so flabbergasted that the woman spoke to her first.

"I have a theory," repeats the woman, her diction laced with a pleasant drawl, "but it's very rude."

Jisoo laughs a confused laugh, slowing her treadmill down to a stop. "Okay, uh, sorry. Hi?" She clears her throat. "Theory? About what?"

The woman cocks an eyebrow and leans an arm against the rest of the machine. "About you."

Jisoo snorts her laugh in a way that's super hot. "Me? Uh."

"I see you here every time I come in." Jisoo catches the way the woman's eyes flick up and down her body. "And you're running at speed. But you look... perfect."

Is she on candid camera? This conversation feels a little insane. Jisoo feels her eyes go wide. "I don't know what you mean -"

"It's so hot in here, and you're setting a hell of a pace, and I'm over here sweating through my everything." The woman gestures at her with an emphatic stab of a finger. "And here you are, running your ass off, and you're not even sweating. You look better at the end of a session than you do at the start. It's not fair."

Jisoo's never blushed so hard, she's certain. Her skin starts to feel itchy in the way it does when a very pretty person looks at her directly for too long. "Well, you know, my conditioning is very, uh -"

The woman peers at her. "It's inhuman."

Jisoo's laugh really is hysterical now. "What? I mean, I just, you know -"

"What are you? Alien? Metahuman?" The woman tilts her head and examines Jisoo again, a little more slowly. "A goddess? A werecat?"

Jisoo snaps her fingers. "That's the one! Definitely a werecat!" She turns and looks at her own backside as best she can manage, spinning once in the process. "Is my tail showing?"

"I knew it." The woman smiles brightly. "Well, Tiger, keep it down, will you? At least pretend it's hard. Be kind to the rest of us mortals."

"I'll do my best." Jisoo grins and holds out her hand. "I'll answer to Tiger, but I usually go by Jisoo."

The woman takes her hand, and she is so sweaty, and it is perfect. "Chaeyoung. Tell me. Do werecats eat ice cream? Because I just kicked my own ass and could use a treat."

Jisoo grins. "Twist my paw."

"OK, if I knew the werecat thing would wind up like this, I wouldn't have gone there."

"I gotta be me," says Jisoo, certainly sweating now and enjoying every moment of it.