Grey's Anatomy

Fandom: Grey's Anatomy

Character: April Kepler

Title: let's drink til we're drunk

This was a request from: shamira_avery

I didn't know where I was going w this sorry 😂
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/N's POV

Being a surgeon sucks!

Most surgeons wouldn't agree with but let's be real.

1) You're surround by sick people ALL. THE. TIME

2) You're never home ( which makes your dog overly-attached to you )

3) You don't have any friends outside of the hospital

4) The insurmountable amount of stress like the boards, complicated surgeries, on the dot decisions and last but certainly not least: someone's life is in your hands....literally.

We cut people open, dig around a little bit until we reach the problem and fix the problem as quickly as we can, otherwise the person will die. Most of the time when a patient dies during surgery, it's the surgeon's problem. Like sometimes the patient dies during surgery from other undetected problems but that's a surgeon's job is to find the problems and fix it, which they failed to do. You held their lives' in your hand and you just destroyed it. And it's all on you. Their family trusted you to take care of them and help them heal, except you did the opposite, you killed them. Having a sick friend is better than having a dead friend.

And that's exactly what happened to me today. I had a simple appendectomy on a patient, and friend, Skylar Jackson. An appendectomy is one of the most simple surgeries a doctor and preform. But every surgery has risks, even an appendectomy such as bleeding, postoperative infections, the appendix could burst, blocked bowels, injury to nearby organs, or a medically induced coma.

But this time it wasn't my fault, Pierce had performed a heart transplant on Skylar then she gets diagnosed with Appendicitis, poor girl. She just couldn't catch a break.

So I had Stephanie prep Skylar for surgery and everything was going perfectly when I opened her up got her appendix out and everything was going perfectly until I saw her whole small intestine had necrotic tissue. I didn't know what to do, you can live without a small intestine but it's harder than living without a large intestine. And that chances that she'd find a doner small intestine is rare. Medically, my options were take her whole small intestine out and put her on the transplant list, or leave it in and put her on the transplant list. But before I could decide Skylar goes into V-Fib and I did everything I could, but she didn't make it. We planned to go to Bora Bora later this year, but I guess I'll have to cancel our vacation.

I sigh and walk into the Attendings' dressing room ( idk what its called ) , glad that I'm off for the rest of the day. It's 9 PM and I can't wait to drive over to Joe's and drink all my problems away.

" Hey," my best friend,April, walks into the dressing room, " are you okay?"

" I've been better." I grumble, hanging on my white coat on the hook in my cubby.

" Loose a patient?" She asks with wide eyes.

" Mhm," I sit down on the wooden bench, " we were friends since high school." I sigh, standing back up to finish my changing.

" Well Jackson and I are fighting over our fake child." April chuckles slightly but her smile turns into a frown. " And he just told me," she throws her hands out in the air, as she stares at the wall, " he told me that he doesn't't care about my faith."