10| Buisness party -Josh p.o.v

***\JOSH'S P.O.V/***

In the year I had dated Ethan, I hadn't had eyes for anyone else. Not until her.

My life had revolved around Ethan and him alone, which is why I was now so accustomed to attending fancy dinners and exuberant balls.

Tonight, I had arrived later than both Ethan and Hollie as I had to train with the boys for longer than expected, he had picked her up and driven straight here. I almost didn't come as I hate these stupid events, but I do it for him.

Walking up to the entrance doors, I stopped mid-step upon spotting Hollie. Her body was covered in a black, lace dress and her face was unusually puffy and pink. She was sat on the steps, staring up at the clear night sky with both shoes in one hand, bare feet resting on the cool stone. Something had clearly upset her.

I was walking toward her in an instant, my body moving as though my life depended on it. Maybe it did?

"The cocktails really that bad here, huh?" I asked, taking a seat beside her. Her head turned to me so fast I thought it would snap off, I tried to offer a small smile at the bad joke.

"Why are you out here?" she groaned, tucking a stray strand of dark hair behind her ear.

"Well, it's nice to see you too." I muttered, looking away. She obviously didn't want me around her right now so I started to get back up. I would give her space if she needed it.

"No, I'm sorry," she called out before I took a step.

"Are you sure? Because I don't do well with women who are upset." I edged one step forward, as close as I dared get.

"No?" She glanced back at me with a questioning look and I shrugged.

"Actually I don't do well with women, period." I admitted to her.

"I wouldn't say that" she patted the step beside her with her palm, gesturing I sit down again, I followed her gesture. "Cigarette?" She offered and I hesitated.

"No, thanks," I glanced back to the cigarettes, my fingers urging to take one.

"What's wrong?" She looked to me and her eyes were wide, "What are you scared of?".

"Cancer" I paused before looking at the cigarettes again, "fuck it, pass me one".

She held out the box for me and I took one, "You know these things can kill you right?" I cocked an eyebrow at her as she pulled out a lighter.

"Seems like everything can kill you, doesn't stop you from getting in the car. Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average that is... 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 50 million are injured and even better than that; more than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44" she stopped for a second before slowly breathing, "that makes your odds of dying pretty high".

I paused for a second, watching her red painted lips as they scrunched into a pout. "You memorise that or something?" I asked.

She laughed lightly before lifting the cigarette to her lips, "Photographic memory... and my foster parents died in a car crash", I didn't know what to say to that, I simply took the cigarette back from her, needing a distraction. I guess we are sharing one between us then.

"Thanks" she whispered, her voice was slightly strained after taking her last drag, I glanced to her with a confused look.

"What for?" I asked, passing the cigarette back to her.

She simply smiled back at me before taking another drag, "for not saying sorry like everyone else".