47| Would You Have Chosen Me?

***\HOLLIE'S P.O.V/***

"Are you gonna' get that or are we all just going to pretend that your phone isn't ringing?" Sawyer raised his eyebrows at me but I just ignored him. The name flashing on the phone screen caused a hard lump to form in the base of my throat, one that I doubt would leave any time soon.

"Shut up you ass wipe, it's obviously about Laura." Becky hit his arm and I forced away my small smile at their heated conversation. Now was not the time to be smiling.

The half finished drink was still suspended in my hand and I quickly put it on the coffee table before me. My fingers hovered over the screen but I couldn't bring myself to actually lift the phone and answer.

"It could be good news?" Sawyer offered, giving me a tentative smile that looked incredibly fabricated but I appreciated the gesture regardless. His hand reached out to grab mine but I pulled it away before he could. I didn't miss the flash of hurt that crossed his face at my rejection.

He looked confused but then shrugged it off as I instead used my hand to reach quickly for the phone before it ran out of dialing tones.

"Here we go." I sighed, holding my breath before answering. I could see Sawyer go for another drink in my peripheral vision, he should probably stop drinking now as his voice was beginning to slur slightly and he was finding everything overly funny.

"Hollie?" Mark's voice filled my ears and I grimaced at the sad edge to his voice. All thoughts of Sawyer were instantly eradicated.

"Yeah, it's me." I replied.

"I don't want to be a pain and I know that you're probably busy right now-"

I glanced around at the empty tumblers and shot glasses... yeah, real busy drowning my sorrows. Although to be fair, they were not my shot glasses. I didn't really feel up to drinking, given the circumstances, and after half an hour my one glass of mixer was still unfinished.

"I'm not busy." I quickly interjected once Mark had finished speaking. If he needed me to help him then I would be more than welcome to.

"Laura's been taken in to surgery and I want to stay with her overnight. I can't leave Bonnie on her own so I was wondering if you could take her to your place tonight. I will pay."

I closed my eyes and tried to think past the word 'surgery'.

"Of course Mark and you don't need to pay me..." I was supposed to be staying at Ethan and Josh's place tonight but I could easily change my plans. "I will just need to make some phone calls but I can be free tonight."

"I don't want you to go out of your way. You have plans?"

"Nothing I can't cancel. I'm supposed to stay at my boyfriend's place, but he will understand."

I could see Sawyer visually freeze at the word boyfriend. What is up with him tonight?

"Josh? I could drop Bonnie off there at 10 if that's okay with you both?"

I paused for a second.

"That would be perfect, I'll text you the address. Our other friend Ethan is going to be there too." I know that Josh adores Bonnie, and Ethan... actually I don't know what he thinks about children? I felt awful about simply calling Ethan a friend, but I didn't know how else to explain it to Mark.

"I trust you Hollie. Thanks for everything and I'll let you know how Laura gets on with the surgery. See you soon." He hung up before I could utter another word. I glanced up towards Becky and Sawyer where they were both silently watching me with intrigued looks.