54| The Truth Can Set You Free

***\HOLLIE'S P.O.V/***

My heart was no longer in my chest. Oh no, it was currently in my mouth, precisely jarred between my front teeth. The sight in the bedroom was something I'm sure Ethan had conjured up in many a nightmare before; his horrified mother stood in the doorframe with a pregnancy test in hand, eyes glancing between a naked Joshua on the bed and me draped in nothing but a sheet beside her half naked son.

Well shit.

I couldn't see what the result was on the stick and knowing that Ethan's mother, Jenny, now held my future between her fingers was equally unnerving. Either the pregnancy test was positive and the one taken in the club was wrong, or Ryan was a lying bastard and I was not pregnant at all.

"Well?" Jenny snapped my thoughts back to the present and I noticed Ethan visually cringe at the clear accusation in her tone. "You can explain this then can you?" Her eyes glanced to the bed where Josh was now trying to gain some decency by pulling the sheet up to his waist, the sheet covered in stained evidence from the night before. Hours of our hot, sweaty pleasure. My eyes caught his and he sent me a tight grimace.

Yeah, we're busted.

Ethan took a step forward, his tall frame belittled by the expansive room and his footsteps cushioned by the luxurious cream carpet. Every inch of the room was decked out with lavish furniture, oriental vases and exotic plants. "You knew." He took another. "You have known for a while yet you didn't want to believe it, didn't want to ruin the image of your 'perfect son.'" He spat out the words 'prefect son' with enough disdain and anger to send proud mountains crumbling. He took yet another step. "I'm sorry to disappoint."

"So what are you trying to say? You're gay?" Jenny's eyes then shifted to where I was stood with a look of confusion, "Or does the slag here just take turns with the both of you?"

She is just in shock, I tell myself but her words still hit me like a direct punch to the chest, forcing me to take a step back. The caring, warm woman I had come to know had disappeared and in her place stood a seething, too faced bitch. I guess this news getting out would threaten her reputation and a woman of her class would undoubtedly not want that. I don't deal well with people belittling me, I've had to deal with it my whole life from people with more money than me. I'm pretty sure our little dinner date Ethan previously mentioned is now off the table.

"I am no slag." I arched an eyebrow, ready to defend myself more when Ethan simply took a step in front of me, holding out his hand to encircle my wrist with a reassuring squeeze.

"No one speaks to her like that." I didn't need to see Ethan's face to feel the wrath radiating from him. "No one."

"Then explain this-" my eyes instantly shot to the small piece of plastic held between Jenny's fingers. All words coming out of her mouth turned to white noise as I stepped out of Ethan's protective stance before me, the pregnancy test she now held up clear to me.

A single line was taunting me from across the room, another single and very much negative line. I could almost feel the small bundle of hope in the base of my stomach dissipate at the sight; there was nothing inside of me. No bundle of hope.

That bastard.

"Why would you even feel the need to take a pregnancy test-" Jenny was cut off by a rapid motion from across the room. I watched as Josh lunged from the bed with all of his football vigor, one hand clutching the sheet bunched around his waist, the other reaching for the out-held stick.

"Negative?" Josh's voice sounded confused and I could've sworn also a little upset by the result. His eyes found mine and in any other situation I probably would've laughed at our current attire. We both looked like a bad cameo from some historic Roman film with our long, white, toga-like robes. This however, was not the right situation in which to laugh.