55| The Deceiver

***\JOSH'S P.O.V/***

Todays training had been draining to say the least and as I dragged myself off the pitch, Henderson and a few other players clapping me on the back in a round of well done praises, all I wanted was to get back home. Three more days of football and I'd be back in New York. Back with Ethan and Hollie. Getting back home was all that had pulled me through the end of season training.

Although, as I pushed open the locker doors, it seemed my plans were to be short lived

Although, as I pushed open the locker doors, it seemed my plans were to be short lived. I received the text messages as soon as I grabbed my gym bag and unlocked my phone from the locker room. My face fell.

He'd let her go. Fuck.

I'd been stuck away in Boston for a whole week, finishing my training before the summer rolled around and I actually got some much needed time off. Don't get me wrong, I lived for football but sometimes the demanding schedule and strict training could get wearing. I was well due a break. However, this was not how I envisioned my summer break beginning.

Ethan: Hollie left for the airport this morning.

Ethan: Thought I should let you know just in case her other twenty messages last night weren't satisfactory for you.

There's to me for being an idiot and assuming Ethan would be able to talk her out of going ahead with this stupid plan. Ever since the whole pregnancy scandal and the falling out with his mom, Ethan had been acting strange; understandably strange, but still he just hadn't been his normal self. The text messages were enough to get me on the first flight home, forgetting about my last three days of training. Football could wait.

I was still steaming by the time the elevator had reached our penthouse suite and even the sight of him topless and sweaty from working out did little to dull my exasperation. His eyes met mine from across the room and I marched straight over, dropping my gym bag in a forgotten heap by the door.

"You're back early, I thought you weren't leaving Boston until Friday?" His casual tone had me wanting to throw fists. How could he be so calm when Hollie wasn't here? When she wasn't at home where he was supposed to be.

"You know full well why I'm here." I stormed straight past him and went to pour myself a glass of bourbon, needing a hard drink before broaching this conversation. On second thought, I also poured Ethan a generous helping and slid his glass along the counter. He downed it without complaint.

"I've got a pretty good idea as to why." He placed the empty glass back down and turned to face me, arms crossed against his broad chest which just so happened to be damp and awfully inviting to lick- focus. Damn it, Joshua. Focus. "Spit it out then. I can tell that you're just dying to grill me."

"How did you just let her go along with it?" I ran a slow hand over my face to try and calm my raging temper. How could he? "It didn't even cross your mind to mention this to me until she was on the fucking plane?"