50| 'Happy Surprise?'

***\HOLLIE'S P.O.V/***

The heart monitor beeping was labored and slow, I could make out the sound of talking from somewhere in the room but couldn't understand what was being said, the continuous conversation blurred into indistinguishable white noise. I didn't really care to know what they were saying.

The beeping sound picked up and I told myself that it was a good sign, it meant I wasn't dead.

That was good. Right?

***\JOSH'S P.O.V/***

I don't know what had just happened but something had changed between Hollie and I, something had clicked into place that seemed permanent and not at all reversible. I had only ever felt that once before; with Ethan.

After two ridiculously strong coffee's from the vending machine I still couldn't shake the excited feeling, or maybe it was just a slight tremor from the caffeine, I couldn't tell. Ethan and I had been sat in the waiting room now for at least 15 minutes and our methods of refraining from complete and utter boredom were uniquely executed.

"Okay, $3,000 says that she is going to get seen next." Ethan subtly indicated towards a middle aged woman sat in the chair opposite. She was flicking through a complementary magazine with haste, clearly agitated about something.

"Nope. The old man two seats to the left is definitely going to get seen first, I've got this $2,000 in the bag." I muttered back, my hand resting casually against Ethan's thigh. His eyes glanced up to meet mine and I could see that he was still reeling from the supply closet, clearly he hadn't had his fill and I'm sure that Hollie will be more than happy to help me correct that little problem later.

I inched my hand higher up his thigh just to tease him and clearly it worked as he blew out a shaky breath at the sudden contact close to his balls. His eyes darted around to make sure that no one was watching but everyone else was either too lost in their own problems or daydreaming to notice that my hand was practically slipping beneath Ethan's belt.

We had been passing the time by betting on stupid things. Currently I was $10,000 ahead of Ethan due to him getting a little too cocky about an older woman going to the toilet for the third time in a matter of 15 minutes.

"It's a good thing you're bloody rich." I muttered, shaking my head and reluctantly removing my hand. Once was already pushing our luck and I don't trust my own luck enough not to get caught messing around for the second time in a public hospital within a 45 minute time span.

"I could say the same thing about you." He nudged me and indicated over to the same middle aged woman who was being called over by a rather young and attractive male doctor in dark scrubs. We both watched as the young doctor then stepped into the waiting room and chatted with the rather pissed off looking woman. I could tell that Ethan was also struck by the young doctor, his eyes looked him up and down before the woman followed him behind the large double doors and into the hospital corridor.

Fuck. That's another $3,000 to Ethan.

"You were totally checking him out." I tutted at Ethan, not really caring as I was also guilty.

"I was just admiring the view." He rolled his eyes, "besides, you were first."

"Are you calling me gay?" I feigned offense, raising an accusatory eyebrow at Ethan. "Are you assuming my sexuality?"