48| What If I Don't Want To Play Nice?

***\JOSH'S P.O.V/***

I can't quite believe that we've actually been trusted to put the needs of such a small human being, before our own, for a whole fucking night.

24 hours.

The two guys who couldn't even keep our pet fish, Larry, alive. But sure, just place a small, helpless child into our incapable hands... Thank God Hollie knows what she's doing.

Holl- 'Be with you in a second, just parking up. X'

My eyes scanned the ground floor lobby for her. I had only seen her this morning but a small, pathetic part of me was already missing her; not that I would ever admit it aloud. Because guys aren't allowed to say that sappy shit, right?

Ethan was distracting Bonnie but I couldn't focus on their conversation. Hollie had promised over the phone that she wasn't drunk driving but I know how persuasive Sawyer can be when he himself is over the limit. He would never put her in danger though, that I could count on.

But she should be here by now.

"She's fine." Ethan's head cocked towards mine with a knowing look; he knows that I overthink everything.

"I know." I mumbled back, not wanting Bonnie to sense any of my unnecessary worry. She was clutching onto my hand whilst rambling to Ethan about her favorite princess TV show.

"Hollie!" She suddenly stopped her one way monologue on Pocahontas and pointed excitedly in the direction of the glass entrance doors, the corners of her mouth turned up, front teeth completely exposed.

I caught sight of Hollie walking towards us, her facial expression a mirror image of Bonnie's. She practically skipped across the expansive lobby with such natural grace that it attracted more than a few intrigued looks from various men and women alike. Her casual attire, finished with a pair of basic black vans, didn't quite fit in with the flashy interior of the reception area but if it occurred to her, she didn't let on to it. She stopped and enveloped us both in a brief side hug that caused a smart man in a business suit from across the hall to look away with an embarrassed crimson tinge to his cheeks.

Yeah that's right, she is ours. Back the fuck up old man.

"Hello my little button." Hollie bent down to scoop Bonnie up into a large hug, arms encompassing her small frame. She was wearing tight jeans and an oversized hoodie had been thrown over the top, hiding the soft curves I knew were hidden underneath.

"Sleepover?" Bonnie asked, her eyes fluttering to both Ethan and I. My fingers were just centimeters from his and I could tell that he wanted to reach for them, the pressure of having to look after Bonnie all night playing on his mind.

His eyes met mine and he raised a dark brow, silently asking me 'what are you looking at?'

Without a word I closed the distance between us and slipped my callused hand into his, my fingers entwining with his in a familiar, yet strangely foreign way. We were never this affectionate in public.

The action didn't go unnoticed by Hollie and she glanced down at our joined hands before sending me a satisfied smile that brought heat to my stomach.

I know that smile.

"Let's go." She hoisted Bonnie further up onto the side of her hip before making her way over to the lift.