Chapter 4

"Vanilla, do not come out of the room. There can be bad people out there" Inaaya warned the dog pointing out of the room. Vanilla tilted her head trying to understand. She stood up when Inaaya moved towards door. She came back running, "No, no, no going out. Stay here"

Vanilla hung out her tongue. Inaaya sighed, "I can never make this dog listen to me"

Turning around, she looked at herself in mirror and shook her head. She can never be one of the girls that look beautiful in every dress. Her frizzy chocolate brown hair were tied in a ponytail. The Marvel comic shirt was tucked inside the red knee-length skirt. She had thick medium arched eyebrows with hazel eyes behind the round spectacles. Biting her lower lip, she judged her body for not looking like her grandmother. Grandmother was a beautiful woman who used to be a model in her youth. She had a fitness diet that she followed till date. Inaaya always wished to like her grandmother who could still make heads turn whenever she entered the room.

Suddenly, her mother entered the room. She rejoiced, "Oh, sweetie, you look so beautiful"

She shrugged. Mrs. Nanda went on to pat Vanilla and said, "Come on, everyone is waiting for you downstairs"

"But I don't even know them" she stammered. Her mother hugged her from side, "It is going to be okay. Trust me"

She stared at her mother. Mrs. Nanda knew she said the wrong words. Two words, which were the last words she said to her before sending her away. She knew Inaaya had remembered the moment when she saw sadness in her eyes. She took her daughter's hand saying, "You are going to have fun."

When Inaaya walked downstairs, she could see all the unfamiliar faces smiling at her. Every one of them claimed to have known her when she was a kid but she didn't remember anyone. After the interactions, she took her mother in the corner asking, "Where is she? I have not seen her since I got here"

Her smile faded away. She replied, "She had gone out. I think she'll be back any minute"

Saying this Mrs. Nanda went on to meet her friends. A pain shoot up in Inaaya's heart. Grandfather told her to make these people her family again but her heart refused upon the idea of meeting 'HER'.

Something caught her eye. A small white tail was wagging behind the couch. She rolled her eyes and found Vanilla eating cookies. Picking her up, she grabbed some more cookies and stepped out in the backyard. Sitting on the wooden chair, she tossed one to Vanilla while eating the other. Placing the cookie in her lap, she tied her hair in a bun. Being inside the house had her grasping air. Tears welled up in eyes. She observed Vanilla chewing her cookie with a smile.

Suddenly, someone came and sat next to her. She turned to other side to wipe off her tears. Facing back, she noticed a boy sitting relaxed on the wooden chair. He had long hazel brown hair with curls at the back of his neck. His face was half illuminated with the light coming from the house. He wore a navy blue printed t-shirt with a pair of cargo jeans and red-black shoes. He ran his fingers through his hair saying, "Hey"

She sniffed, "Hey"

He asked, "Are you okay? You ran outside"

She smiled, "I didn't run. I just needed some air"

Vanilla came to him, sniffing his shoes. He rubbed her head before picking her up asking, "What is your name?"

Inaaya replied, "Vanilla"

He raised his eyebrows. In the little light, his perfect face was still charming. He asked, "Is it because she is white? Because that would be racist"

She laughed, "No, actually when she came to our house, she was very fond of Vanilla cream. She would lick frosting of Grandma's cupcakes. So, we named her Vanilla"

He gave a laugh. Her heart started beating faster. Stroking Vanilla's hair, he told her, "I am Ayaan Kapoor. I live in the house next to you"

He pointed to the window which was directly in front of her room's window. He continued, "That is my room"

She tossed Vanilla another cookie which she grabbed with her paws. He gave a laugh, "Good job, Vanilla. You are going to be excellent while playing Frisbee"

Inaaya smirked, turning her gaze back to tree. He nudged her, "Are you okay? Isn't this party for you?"

She shook her head, "It is just a party which Nanda's love to throw, whatever maybe the reason. Also, no one will notice if I don't go back"

"I noticed" he said rubbing Vanilla's ears. She smiled at him, "You noticed because I ran outside with cookies"

"But you said you didn't run" he joked. She laughed, "Okay, I think you should give me back my dog"

Inaaya tried to take Vanilla who had fallen asleep in his lap. He shook his head hugging Vanilla, "No, she likes me"

She smiled as Vanilla jumped in her arms, "I beg to differ"

Ayaan pouted, "You broke my heart V"

Getting up, Inaaya said goodbye before entering the house again.