Chapter 11

Sobbing, Inaaya entered the house. She had her eyes red and puffy. Mrs. Nanda descended the stairs asking, "Sweetie, how was..."

She noticed her swollen eyes and asked, "What happened? How come you are early?"

When she didn't answer, she called out her husband, "Honey, come here quickly"

Inaaya wanted to run to her room. Her mother tried to hug her but she backed away. Then, she started stroking her arm. Inaaya saw her father enter from the backyard. He slid the glass door shut and wiped his hands with a cloth asking, "What is it?"

His expression changed to concern when he saw Inaaya. She shook her head, "It is nothing. I have to go."

When she tried to climb the stairs, her mother blocked the way, "Tell us what happened. We are your parents"

She couldn't control her anger. Wiping off the tears, she snapped, "You seriously want to know what happened?"

Turning around to face her father, she climber down saying, "What happened was...you left me nine years ago. That's what happened. You abandoned your seven year old just because your other daughter claimed that she was pushed by her down that tree house. What kind of parents do that? You were supposed to punish your kid, not leave her. You saw her fractured arm and leg but you didn't see me crying whole night missing my home, my parents. You want to know the truth, she tried to push me off. I was just defending myself. I tried to catch her. I did. But you didn't even bother to ask."

She sobbed, "And then, when I was finally happy with my life away from all of you, you suddenly remembered that you have another daughter. You came and brought me back to this place. A place where I am not even wanted. What were you trying to prove by bringing me back here? I had a life, a happy one...And you ruined it. Why did you come back? Why?"

Her eyes looked at her mother, "You asked me to trust you. I did. Stupid me."

Mr. Nanda stuttered, "Inaaya, I...We are"

She threw raised her hand to stop him. She shook her head, "Don't... Just don't. There is nothing that you could say that would make up for the last nine years. I was just a kid. You believed her when I was screaming that I didn't do anything. I was begging you to believe me. So no...I don't need any sorry or justification because now, it is too late for everything"

Vanilla scratched her leg with her paw. She picked her up and ran upstairs leaving her parents stunned.