Chapter 62

Inaaya entered the cafeteria texting to Ayaan. He had not replied since morning. Worried, she turned to Charlotte who was taking the salad from the counter. She stuffed her phone in her pocket saying, "I don't know what is going on. He is not like that. I think he is in trouble"

Her best friend rolled her eyes saying, "Sweetie, he is not a baby. Stop being those girls who only talk about their boyfriends"

She raised her eyebrows asking, "Aren't you a ray of sunshine today?"

Charlotte slipped in the seat saying, "See, I am really worried about the debate competition next week. You know we are in finals. And we have to win. I need to win"

"I know. That is why I am actually making banners for cheering you up" Inaaya replied. Charlotte was gaping at her. She shook her head, "Don't do that. You don't do sparkly banner stuff for debating events. I have a reputation....Oh my! You are going to be like my mom at my poetry club"

"You wrote poetry?" Inaaya had a big smile on her face. Her best friend shook her head saying, "It was freshman year and they kicked me out after my mother started cheering for a guy who wrote a poem on his dead mother"

Inaaya covered her mouth to hide her smile. Charlotte hit her arm saying, "Do not do anything embarrassing"

Inaaya nodded and started fishing in Charlotte's salad. Suddenly, the basketball team surrounded her table. Nicholas placed a note in front of Inaaya. She asked, "What is this? Why does this look like we are surrounded by a bunch of gangsters?"

She unfolded the paper and saw a photograph of her from morning in her oversized black sweater which had rhinestones in shape of crescent moon with Vanilla in her arms. Ayaan had bought the sweater last week for her. Every member of the team placed alphabets on her table spelling 'WILL YOU GO TO FORMALS WITH ME?"

Inaaya started laughing and got up asking, "Depends. Which one of you is asking"

Nicholas pointed at her back. She turned around to see Ayaan standing with Vanilla in his arms. He smirked, "I am the one asking. And I brought someone who can convince you. She is on my team and if you don't want her to be kidnapped, you should say yes"

She laughed and took Vanilla saying, "You don't need to kidnap Vanilla to convince me, Mr. Kapoor. The answer was already yes"

Everyone started cheering as he pulled her closer and kissed her. She pulled back and smiled saying, "Thank you"

He whispered, "I am not supposed to be here. If Coach sees me..."

"AK, more hours for you today, and get that dog off the school grounds" they heard the coach order before leaving the cafeteria. Ayaan placed her head on her shoulders sighing, "Now, I am screwed"

She kissed him again saying, "I love the new collar"

He took Vanilla and she adjusted her red-colored collar with Vanilla's name engraved on metal in shape of bone. He turned the metal saying, "And it had your name at the back of it so if she gets lost"

She smiled before giving Vanilla a goodbye kiss. He took off with Vanilla who was trying to lick his face.