Chapter 42

The gymnasium was decorated around the theme 'Masquerade on Bourbon Street'. Art department had made small houses around the stands and a table which served the snacks. Everyone dressed in their dresses, gowns and suits started arriving. The Homecoming committee members would hand out the masks to them as they entered. Zara who was in black off-shoulder A-line dress and had her long black hair flowing down her back with her smoky eyes, picked up a black feather mask saying, "It matches my outfit"

She was joined by her friends inside who complimented her. Her eyes searched for Ayaan and Inaaya but it was hard to recognize anyone. Her mind was working on a plan to make Inaaya and Ethan break-up. She had a vicious smile on her face as she talked to her friends.

Charlotte dressed in navy blue two-piece dress which had lacy blouse with a short skirt, had her hair tied in a lace-braided bun and a purple-green mask on her eyes, was walking around the snacks counter tasting everything. Nicholas slid his hand around her on her bare stomach and hugged her from behind saying, "I knew I would find you here"

She gave a laugh and turned around to lift his mask to kiss him. Ayaan coughed, "Guys, please can we focus here"

Charlotte pulled back saying, "You brought the douchebag with you"

Ayaan faked a smile, "Thank you"

"You can't let me have a moment once in my life?" Nicholas asked. They could see his eyes rolling behind the mask, "Fine, go on have your kiss while I try to find her in this stupid dance. I mean who suggested they have a masquerade?"

Charlotte shrugged, "Maybe she changed her mind about coming"

"Why, did you say anything to her?" he asked anxiously. She shook her head, "I didn't say anything. Why are you nervous? I have never seen you this nervous"

Nicholas joked, "He is like this now-a-days. Maybe it is Inaaya's side effect"

Charlotte laughed. Ayaan had his eyes glued to the doors. Every time a person entered the hall, he would hold his breath. Charlotte joked eating a cupcake, "If you say her name three times, maybe she'll appear"

Ayaan cocked his head to side saying, "Very funny"

Nicholas and Charlotte started whispering to each other when they heard him utter, "Wow"

They saw him watching a girl who wore a burgundy colored short A-line dress with a silver bracelet around her wrist and had her hair resting on her left shoulder with a silver mask on her face. Charlotte asked, "Are you sure?"

Ayaan smirked, "That is the only girl that made my heart go really fast, like racing car fast. I am sure that is her"

She glanced at Nicholas asking, "Isn't he watching way too much romantic flicks?"

Her boyfriend shrugged with a smile. She sighed looking at the girl, "Okay, then let me check"

As she walked to her, the girl hugged her with relief saying, "Coco, I am so glad I found you"

Charlotte laughed, "I know it is like a mess around here. People are hard to recognize"

She swirled around and gave a signal to Ayaan slyly who had a big grin on his face. Then, she said to Inaaya, "I am going to find Nico before he starts making out with someone else. Can you wait here? I'll be back in just a few minutes"

Inaaya nodded nervously. As Charlotte disappeared in the crowd, Inaaya looked around wishing she wouldn't run into her sister or worse Ethan or Ayaan. Suddenly, someone swirled her around and caught her by waist. Her hands rested on his shoulders to balance. He wore a dark blue suit which hinted a sense of black in the dim light with a white shirt. When her eyes went up, she saw the boy smirk. She exclaimed, "You!"

"Do you know how ravishing you look today? I can't believe you recognized me. See this is the connection many people don't have" he led her to the dance floor. She sneered, "Many people don't force the others to dance with them"

He laughed, "Sweetie, I am not forcing you. Our bodies have become accustomed to each other. We are in sync. You want to see?"

Before she could answer, he swirled around. He caught her hand as their feet went back and forth. Slowly, his hand moved up her back pulling her close. Her tensed body started relaxing as the warmth between grew. As he whisked her around and she landed in his arms, his charming smirk returned. She could feel her body know every move that he was going to make. She rolled her eyes, "Fine, we practice a lot"

His hand pulled her closer. She could feel his warm breath as the music changed to a fast beat. They stood frozen staring in each other's eyes. His heart ached to kiss her. She felt herself leaning in to kiss him. She said, "I told you to stay away"

Her tone was soft. He shrugged, "Well, technically you said you don't want to see my face"

A smile appeared on her face. As they danced slowly, her arms were wrapped around his neck and their foreheads touching. His fingers were entwined at her back. She mumbled closing her eyes, "I can't do this Ayaan"

He didn't answer. He wanted to savor every minute. She took a deep breath as she felt her words suffocating her. He smirked as she opened her eyes. His finger circled on her back as he said, "I know the problem... It is not that you don't want to. The problem is that if you kissed me, you don't think you would be able to stop"

She cupped his face. She wanted to say something but words choked her.Defeated by her own feelings, she turned around and walked away.