Chapter 38

Zara entered the café in a blue off-shoulder sundress. She slipped in the seat taking off her sunglasses, opposite to Ayaan who was engrossed in his phone. She tried to sneak a look in it but he shut it. He smilingly said, "Hey, I didn't notice you"

She sat straight smiling, "Odd, because every guy in this café had looked at me at least once"

He laughed. She leaned in putting her elbows on the table, "Shall we order?"

"Actually, I did order. Our regular" he replied. They have been coming to Joe's Coffee since their first date. The first date when Ayaan and Zara thought they should try dating each other rather than other people. She teased, "How well you know me! I heard you got one of the highest scores on SATs. Do you want to celebrate? You can come to my room at night, I'll give you a present"

He gave a nervous laughter which was odd for Zara, "No, actually I wanted to talk to you about us"

Their order arrived and Ayaan thanked the waiter. When he left, Zara said sipping her cold coffee, "Go on"

Ayaan took a deep breath. He rubbed his palms together, "Umm, Zara, lately I have been thinking about us... How everyone thinks that we are perfect for each other but in reality, we are barely holding on to each other. I am so sorry to do this but I am sick of pretending that everything is fine. We have known each other for years, you were my best friend before being my girlfriend but last two years, you have changed. You will agree with me on the fact that we are not the people who we were when we got in relationship. We have changed. We have grown-up. I know you are a great person to be with but...I can't do this anymore. I can't lie to you and I can't lie to myself. So, I am letting you go...I have to break-up with you"

He had expected her to react in a violent manner but it surprised him that she was still smiling at him. She sighed, "Letting me go..."

Her smiling eyes shifted to a lioness looking at her prey, "What the hell is wrong with you? What was this crazy speech? I am a great person but you can't be with me. You are letting me go... What kind of crap is that? You want to know what has changed... You, you are the one who has changed since that bitch arrived in this city. Remember when you moved in next door, you were a weirdo who had a nest for hair, I was your only friend. I helped you through school and made you who you are. You don't get to do that. You don't get to dump me for her."

He tried to calm her. Everyone was looking at them. He interrupted, "Zara, it is nothing like that. We have problems. We are not good for each other. We knew that before Inaaya arrived."

She slammed the cold-coffee on his face getting up, "To hell with you AK"

He wiped his face while she stormed out of the cafeteria. Getting in her car, she started crying. She had seen it coming. She knew he would do this any day now. Her body burned with rage. Her hands were shaking on the steering wheel. She took deep breaths to calm herself. Wiping off her tears, she adjusted the rear-view mirror saying, "I don't care about what dad says now, if I don't have a perfect life, you don't deserve it either. Let's see what your boyfriend thinks about those late night make-outs and secret meetings in library. Inaaya, now it is war"