1.8: "That, Was Budapest"

IN THE COMMAND CENTRE, FURY STOOD BY THE WINDOWS AND WATCHED

He watched, as Tony Stark and an unauthorised quinjet departed from the bay. Frantic booms of commands were thrown all around him, scrambling to find how and why a quinjet flew without authorisation.

Maria Hill approached him, a veil of panic dictated her otherwise calm and collected posture. When Fury grinned, Hill returned one after coming to realisation. In his hands held Phil Coulson's vintage cards.

He'd miss his dear friend. And he thought Phil would want the Avengers to be united too. Sort of a passing wish, Fury thought he needed to see through.

And when he wanted to be, Nick Fury was one hell of a motivational speaker. He stared at the bloodied deck of cards in his palm, shuffling absentmindedly.

"How is Project T.A.H.I.T.I. going?"

"They're on their way."

As planned, Tony flew to the Stark Tower, only to find Selvig had already activated the Tesseract. His repulsors fired at the cube but ended up being shoved back by the powerful force field of it. Loki scoffed from the ground, humoured.

"JARVIS," Tony landed on his balcony, "Plan B it is." His damaged armour was swiftly removed just as JARVIS said there was no Plan B. "We'll... improvise, J."

Loki followed him in, "Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity."

Ah, how snarky. Tony reckoned he deserved a drink before this all went to hell. "Er, actually I'm planning to threaten you."

"You probably should have left your armour on. Or, bring Olivia for that." Loki rubbed his chin, a playful glimmer shining in his eyes. He was antagonising him, trying to get a reaction.

Tony felt like he was talking a mirror image, only with tackier choice of armour. Asgardians and their capes, he glanced with distaste. Green?

"This is the first time somebody thinks my company doesn't suffice, and believe me, it does." He winked and downed his glass of whiskey. "Don't worry, Olivia is on her way. Drink?"

Tony secretly slipped on a bracelet for his new Mark 7 armour, feeling the liquid courage go into work. It better, he hoped, I'm about to jump out of my damn penthouse.

Loki's eyes narrowed, "You knew."

"What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't?"

Olivia wanted to jump out of the damn quinjet the second she ripped off her seatbelt.

"Loki. Just. Threw. TONY STARK OFF THE FUCKING BUILDING!"