2.2: Welcoming Committee

THE DOOR SLAMMED HEAVILY BEHIND THE AVENGERS

THE DOOR SLAMMED HEAVILY BEHIND THE AVENGERS. Startling Clint, Natasha and Steve and harshly pulled them out of their thoughts.

"I'm sorry, you just lost her?" Steve lifted his head to meet Tony's furious gaze. He gave Steve a once-over, "You look like crap."

"We haven't slept." Natasha mumbled, violently rubbing her face.

"Great."

Nick Fury entered the room in a few seconds later, witnessing the few Avengers going at it. When Natasha and Steve called it in, the Avengers immediately rushed into headquarters. Clint was called off his mission and Tony flew to The Triskelion shortly. It had been already been seven hours since Olivia got on the chopper.

There were no reports of any patients under her name or any of her aliases in Central Receiving or other hospitals within the States.

The billionaire felt claustrophobic, even in the huge meeting room. He felt the familiar tightening feeling before it arrived so he started pacing around the room to calm himself down. After his event with The Mandarin, he suffered from severe PTSD, as JARVIS diagnosed. As usual, Olivia was the only one who knew about it. He relied on her.

"Why wasn't anyone with her when, I don't know, she was bleeding to her death?" Tony snarked, a death stare directed at Natasha and Steve as he continued pacing.

"Batroc was still a threat, we had to eliminate him." Natasha answered softly, trying not to think of her friend as dead.

"That's funny. So a STRIKE team, Captain America and the infamous Black Widow couldn't get the job done? That's great. Amazing." Tony huffed, seeing red as he continued to throw out synonymns to distract himself.

This was an oversight, one that could easily cost his best friend's life. Defeated and finally out of synonyms, he plopped into a meeting chair, facing Fury.

Steve remained silent, the guilt in him increasing tenfold, he knew leaving her alone was a bad idea. Natasha didn't stray too far away, her own guilt only kept increasing. They knew Tony had a point.

"Now is not the time to push blame, Stark. We need to find her." Clint defended. They didn't mind Tony's angry remarks, but they were going to lose precious time if they continued to argue like this.

Steve nodded, his head finally tilted into the light to reveal the tired circles under his otherwise perfect complexion. Running a hand in his dirty blonde hair, "Barton's right. We need to find out who and where Olivia's been taken to."

"You've been awfully quiet." Tony nodded toward Fury, who stood at the front of the table.

"One of our tech boys tagged a chopper. It flew over the Hudson River but the trail ran cold." Fury replied.