5.3: If The Earth Quakes

𝐈𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐐𝐮𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬

𝐈𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐐𝐮𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬

━━━━━━

    SUPERHEROES AND VILLAINS, THEY WERE ALL SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN.

Everyone eventually falls on a range of the spectrum. Good versus evil, heroes versus criminals, was there truly a difference?

Nobody could definitively say if they were 100% a hero, or 100% a villain. Well, nobody could, until yesterday.

The air in the tower was deadly still, not a peep of activity like its usual bustling days and nights. A pin could drop and it would be overwhelming loud for all the Tower's residents —if the voices of the dead weren't screaming in their ears already.

The Tower's occupants were locked in their rooms all day. Olivia and Steve tossed and turned for the entire night, both knew each other were awake but not a word was exchanged. There was too much to say, yet they didn't know where to start.

Recalling the broken look on Steve when he knew Bucky had remembered him, Olivia wondered if she was honouring the wrong promise to the wrong man.

Whereas on the other side of the bed, Steve's heart struggled to beat from the excruciating weight that came with the Captain America mantle. For the first time, Steve Rogers slept in —missing his daily jog for once.

Twenty minutes was all she managed to snooze. When she rose, her boyfriend had disappeared, only a faint residue of his cologne.

It was 11am when she finally dragged herself out from the confines of their room. On the way to the communal kitchen to grab her morning, now afternoon coffee, the sound of the daily news played from Wanda's room. She waited for her Nespresso while listening to the news anchor debate about the Avengers.

"Friends or foe? The Avengers claim to fight for us, but the destruction they have left in their wake suggests otherwise."

Her feet padded softly as she made her way to Wanda's room, ready to smash the television in. There, she found her boyfriend consoling (or trying to) an unnerved Wanda Maximoff. She stalked by the doorway, eavesdropping on Steve blaming himself —words that he didn't seem to be able to tell her as they laid silently yesterday.

Gulping down the rest of her coffee, Olivia grabbed her denim jacket and headed to the basement. After what happened in Lagos yesterday, like everyone else in this house, she had been wallowing in guilt and throwing more pity parties for herself.

It was suffocating. She didn't know it was possible to feel this... human. She got into an Audi and drove aimlessly on the streets. With FRIDAY in control of the car, she zoned out. Watching the young and old roaming the streets, each on their mission to live their day. She envied them, these people live their lives without constantly looking over their shoulders, waiting for the next big bad thing to happen.