1.10: "Phil Coulson, Avenged"

THE FATE OF HUMANITY RESTED ON SELVIG, WHO WAS FINALLY FULLY CONSCIOUS NOW

Natasha watched him type speedily on a laptop, rambling about a failsafe that he had previously created. Perhaps that was his saving grace, that in his inebriated state, Selvig was still good-natured.

"This could work!" Hope flashed across Selvig's eyes. "I need your help, Agent Romanoff."

Without hesitation, Natasha snatched the sceptre and started to slowly pierce it through the Tesseract's force field upon Selvig's instructions. Her forehead drew lines as her feet dug into the gravel, finding a foothold to counteract the strong energy emitting from the cube. She yelled to her teammates, "I can close this! Does anyone copy?"

"Negative, Nat! There's a nuke coming in, we don't have much time." Olivia rushed out.

"Genius minds think alike, Liv. I know just where to put it," Tony surprised them by taking a detour. He started flying across a body of water to chase after the rogue rocket headed for the island of Manhattan.

"No–" This wasn't what Olivia expected.

Tony ultimately caught up to the rocket. It felt insane to him when he grabbed the head of the missile, kicking his repulsors in full force and swerved himself vertically into the skies.

"Tony?" Olivia ran along the bridge without a in mind, her eyes following Tony's tiny figure chasing the blue heavens. "No. No! It's too risky!"

"Stark, you know that's a one-way trip." Steve reminded.

Olivia skidded to a stop as she reached the edge of the bridge, and that was about as far as she could go. With trembling hands, "Secure channel 3," she knew their comms were linked when she heard the rustling sound of the wind.

"Please, we'll figure something out! There's too many things... that could go wrong, Tony!" Her breath choked as her vision struggled to keep up with Tony's figure in the air.

Please, don't be a hero for once.

Her hands formed into a tight fist, a familiar sensation digging in her palm, half-moon markings made evident.

"Liv– I know. But there's no other way. That rocket's gonna hit us. Hit you, and a thousand more. If I'm selfish, you'll be dead." Another audible breath came from Tony, he sounded frightened. "As a fellow member of my genius club, you know there is no other way."

Olivia hated heroes. Tony was right, extremely stupid, but right.

"That reminds me, let's say I don't make it... I saw the way that old man was looking at you—go for it. A new rock," He tried to keep up a cheery tone, but Olivia knew better. "Oh! If I do see any tiny aliens on Mars, I'll let you and Matt Damon know," Tony rambled, probably distracting himself that he might most possibly, 100% die in space.