3.6: The Icy Truth

"GRANT DOUGLAS WARD!"

"It's Grant Ward, you know I hate my middle name, Olivia Bailey Tyson. And, Maria Hill! I kinda hoped you went down with the Triskelion..."

"Ward, I really didn't care about you to know that. But kudos, you exceeded even Maria and my high expectations—you are the biggest duplicitous lowlife."

𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺 𝘴𝘪𝘹 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘨𝘰,

The brunette snapped her head at the ding!, indicating that they have reached their floor. Exiting the small gated elevator, they trudged in silence to their rented room. The release of a deep exhale did the trick.

"Hey," Carter called out, twirling her around to face him, staring brazenly into her blue eyes. Her stormy blue eyes was rimmed with pinkish-red, an aftermath of witnessing hell. "We did what we had to do. It was for the best." Carter turned the knob on their room after a forced smile. Better than nothing, he thought.

Even tonight's events felt messed up for this former SEAL-Team 6 member. It was depressingly grimace. She echoed his sentiments and nodded at intervals, agreeing.

Having served in the military for almost half his life, and now gaining this superpower of his—Carter has often pondered, at the expense of him risking his life for the world, what good did the world ever offered him?

Feeling the familiar ache in his chest, he kicked his shoes off and pretended to call dibs on showering first. He shut the bathroom door softly, still mocking Olivia's groans of displease at being sticky and gross.

Unable to hold it in anymore, Carter dashed to the sink and slapped the faucet on, using the rushing water to lap over the sounds of him coughing his lungs out. His throat burned from the intensity of the coughs, pulling away to see the expected on his palm: blood.

Balancing his weight on the countertop, he gulped, washing his blood infused with the water and swirled down into the sink.

'What good did the world ever offered me?'

Streaks of water fell against his body, cleaning the foams, dirt, and impurities off his bare skin. The warm temperature melted his troubles and worries, as ironic as it was, boiling hot showers were his only form of retreat from the world.

All freshened up, he exited the shower to find his friend sitting on a lounge chair outside the balcony. The view in Kazirstan was nowhere as amazing as the places they had been, but for two people surrounded in blood and tragedy all day, anywhere else was better.

"Throwing a pity party, I see." Carter nodded at the bucket of beer bottles sitting beside her. Olivia had already downed two.

"For somebody who can't get drunk, this party sucks." She kindly passed him a beer of his own before leaning into the chair, not looking all that relaxed.