INTERLUDE: WAR IS COMING

CARTER MOORE REACHED FOR HIS RINGING PHONE

Putting his reruns of Gossip Girl on pause, he rolled over the couch to snatch his phone.

"Where are you?" The text read from an unknown number. Firing up his laptop, he expertly tried to trace the source, but his search coming up empty. It was a burner phone.

He perked up, immediately knowing who the text message was from. He swiftly texted back his location, "Bucharest, Romania."

Carter's assignment placed him in another country. This time, Romania was the lucky destination Bucky Barnes chose. It was the longest he had stayed in one place too.

His first instinct was to check his perimeters, afraid that her text was actually disguised as a warning. Was his cover blown? Did something happen to Bucky Barnes?

He drew open his curtains, checked all corners of his house and found nothing.

The sound of heavy footsteps tore his attention to the roof. Maybe someone came via a helicopter? Without hesitation, he cocked his armed pistol and speedily climbed to the roof via the fire escape ladder, two steps at a time.

'Nothing,' he huffed. No sign of anything.

Finding the situation peculiar, he cautiously walked back to his apartment, keys dangling in his hand. Five minutes had passed since her text and he was getting anxious. A thousand thoughts surfaced in his head, all heading in the worst-case scenarios.

When he reached his apartment again, the door was slightly ajar. The dialogue from season 3 of Gossip Girl was blasting through the thin walls.

Someone was inside.

On high alert, the ex-SEAL Team 6 member opted out of using ammunitions, careful not to alarm the supersoldier living in the building opposite him. Instead, his hands glowed an icy white mist. Ready to ambush his attacker.

One deep breath later, he kicked the front door wide open, using the element of surprise to his advantage. He was about to freeze the unwelcome guest in his apartment.

Little did he know, he was the one receiving a warm surprise.

Leaned back, legs propped comfortably on his leather couch, Olivia Bailey Tyson sat there examining her fingernails with a knowing yawn.

He smirked, arms relaxed and his power fading away. It was a vicious callback to their first encounter.

"I knew it, Carter Moore! What did I say about using your powers? I knew you wouldn't listen!" She nagged, eyes rolling at his defiance. This was a test he failed. She'll get him back for this.

"Darling, what the hell are you doing here?" Carter ignored her nagging, his usual smirk prominently on display. He carelessly closed his door with a soft kick.

"I need your help, again." She sighed, jerking her head in the direction of Bucky Barnes' apartment.

"I think a war is coming."