3.5: Leave No Traces

HAND IN HAND, OLIVIA AND CARTER ABSORBED INTO A NEW IDENTITY—MR AND MRS MOORE

HAND IN HAND, OLIVIA AND CARTER ABSORBED INTO A NEW IDENTITY—MR AND MRS MOORE. After a gruelling thirteen hour flight, they eventually landed in Kazirstan and waited to get past immigration.

In plain sight, their intertwined hands tightened upon noticing several armed soldiers loitering around the immigration hall. It was easy to spot the soldiers among the crowd of tourists, just look for a bunch of muscular men whose uniforms looked like it itched. Adding on to the blazing heat from the unforgiving weather, these men were looking for any chance to curb their itch on the trigger.

Security was tight here, they had to play pretend well or this would definitely make the evening news.

"Ms Olivia Taylor-Moore, are you here for business or pleasure?" The immigrations officer nonchalantly asked, bored out of her mind.

Occasionally, the job gets interesting for them. Lucky day for this officer, as she squinted her eyes deep in thought, pondering where she saw a face this familiar. But before she could devise an answer, Olivia worked on her charm.

"Pleasure. My husband and I are travelling around the world," Olivia smiled sickly sweet at Carter, looking very much in love. "We met in high school and wow, it's already our fifth anniversary!"

The clever spy exploited a woman's weakness —a hopeless romantic. They want to believe that true endless love is real, and when evidence like high school sweethearts present itself, they drop their guard to worship it. After hearing this, any suspicious thoughts were tossed out of the officer's mind. Olivia watched with doe, innocent eyes as the lady stamped her passport.

"Thank you." She grinned.

"To the world, he's Alexi Markov. To SHIELD, he's Agent Liam Matthews, Level Six, a real promising agent. The Academy's nine best, he passed every test we threw at him with flying colours. Operations, SciTech, comms, whatever. He was one of the faster climbers in SHIELD." Olivia recited everything that was in the case notes.

"Nine best. Who's the eight before him?"

Olivia raised her eyebrows in question, "Romanoff, Barton, Tyson, May, Hill, Ward—that son of a bitch–"

She heard Carter echo her sentiments, "That son of a bitch."

"And the rest is classified." She replied with a wink. 

Carter crossed his legs and leaned on his knuckles, humming at the mission notes, "He sounds impressive."

"Matthews was expected to be one of the upcoming greatest. Which was why, when SHIELD needed a deep-cover agent to infiltrate Kazirstan, he was our prime candidate. Matthews' mission, alongside agents Allia Mjion and Abel Mateo, his backup cover agents, were to act as Sergei Tasarov's presidential campaign manager."