4.9: Lay Me Down Slowly

A GENTLE HAND RESTED ON WANDA MAXIMOFF'S SHOULDERS

The young lady felt someone sat on the chair beside her. She couldn't care less.

Wanda stared at the freshly dug ground in front of her. She just buried her twin brother two hours ago. Laid him down in the ground forever, far away from her.

Even as a child, Wanda Maximoff understood the cruel concept of time. How it can make two hours feel like two minutes when you're happy, carefree.

"It's us against the world, sister."

Or it can make the toughest moments in your life feel like an eternity of hell.

"Wanda, listen carefully. Don't. Move."

"I'm scared, Pietro."

"I know, sister. I am here."

Two days. It took the rescuers two whole days before they dug up all the blasted concrete and found a young Pietro and Wanda Maximoff. When they found them, the bloodied twins were passed out from dehydration, still holding hands.

Staring at the bomb shell three feet away from them, Pietro risked his life to swap places with Wanda, knowing any shift in the rubble could set it off. He wanted to put as much distance as possible between the bomb and Wanda, by being her human shield.

There wasn't anything he wouldn't do for his twin. Even if that meant he would explode into a million pieces of himself.

So much can change within time. Yesterday, she had her whole world. Today...

"Aren't you going to ask if I'm ok?" Her voice was raw and coarse. Not from screaming, but from the lack of use. She couldn't begin to count the number of times someone asked her how she was doing, if she was fine, if she needed anything.

Of course she needed something, but as if they could help.

She needed her brother alive. Breathing. Can they do that?

"There's nothing I can say to make you feel better," Olivia said softly.

So they sat in silence. Wanda's fingers fidgeted with the petals of white roses. Plucking it, feeling the soft velvet on the pad of her fingertips. She continued to stare at the freshly engraved tombstone.

PIETRO MAXIMOFF
Loving brother and son.
"The sun shined brighter for he was here."

She welcomed the silence and appreciating the Avenger for providing it. Out of all people, Olivia Bailey Tyson provided her with the normalcy she desperately needed. It was another thirty minutes before Olivia finally spoke.

"It was a beautiful service."

Wanda hummed, "Very him." They stared at the never ending sky bed, it was the perfect weather. Sunny, cloudy, with a hint of breeze.