PROLOGUE

2015; 14 years earlier

Valerie was woken up from her deep slumber in the middle of the night by a scream coming from what sounded like her mother. Suddenly, her bedroom door flew open and in came her mother, bruises scattered across her face and a bit of dried blood under her nose.

She ran over to her daughter, "Come on, honey. We have to go now." She told her daughter as she scooped her up with her blanket and teddy bear.

"Where's daddy?" Valerie asked her mother, not seeing anything wrong with her mother, "Why do you have so many booboos?"

"There was a bad man in the house. He got Daddy, now we have to go right now so we don't get caught too. So stay quiet." Her mother whispered to her as she slowly made her way down the stairs with Valerie in her hands.

Once making it toward the front door, she scooped up her keys from the coffee table and headed out the door. She ran to her car, only to be suddenly pushed to the ground, Valerie falling out of her arms.

A growl escaped the unknown man's lips as he grabbed Valerie's mother by her throat and slammed her against the car, "Mommy!" Valerie screamed out, running toward her mother.

"No, don't!" Her mother shouted, "Stay there. Please, honey."

"We told you what would happen when we found you. Having her was against the rules," The man informed Valerie's mother, pointing to a terrified Valerie, "She's an abomination! Nothing should be both two species at once, especially not both werewolf and witch."

"Delfan eoten cor." The man chanted and suddenly Valerie's mother croaked out, her eyes glowing a fluorescent yellow one last time before her heart was removed from her body.

"Mommy!" Valerie screamed out as she ran over to her mother's body, the man who killed her slowly backing away.

______

"I'm just saying, why can't we stop at a bar before starting on a journey around the U.S., looking for an antidote?" Ophelia asked Hayley with a smile on her face.

They both sat with Hope in the moving truck, the neutralized bodies of Kol, Rebekah, Freya, and Elijah all in the back of the truck in caskets after the fight against Marcel, who was now a beast stronger than all the Originals, maybe even Ophelia.

"Ophelia--" Hayley began to tell her best friend, only to suddenly slam her foot down on the brakes when they saw a little girl, who looked about to be the age of Hope, walking in the middle of the road. The girl was covered in blood. She dragged her teddy bear and blanket along with her as she walked across the empty street.

Both Hayley and Ophelia jerked forward at the sudden stop before pushing themselves back in their original spot.

Hayley frowned, turning to look at Ophelia with a confused look on her face, "What the hell?"

Ophelia opened the passenger's side door, "Wait here." She told her friend before getting out of the truck.

Ophelia vamp sped to the little girl, standing in front of her. She crouched down, "Hi, sweetheart." Ophelia greeted the little girl with a small smile on her face, "Can you tell me why you're walking in the middle of the road?"

"He killed my mommy and daddy." The little girl, who happened to be Valerie began to cry.

"Who did?" Ophelia asked the girl concerned.

"The bad man."

Ophelia frowned, turning her head to look at Hayley, who was still in the truck as she listened in on the conversation. Ophelia turned back to the little girl, "And where is the bad man now?" She asked the little girl Ik a calm time.

Valerie lifted her chubby hand up, pointing to the woods, "Mind showing me?" Ophelia questioned and Valerie nodded.

Ophelia stood back up, holding her hand out for Valerie to take. Valerie instantly grabbed it and led Ophelia toward the dead body, "I'll be back," Ophelia told Hayley, knowing she could hear her.

"Be careful," Hayley warned her and Ophelia nodded her head in response.

Once entering the woods, Ophelia could instantly smell the scent of blood, which confused her. She didn't hear any heartbeats but hers and the little girl's.

"He's right here," Valerie informed Ophelia, causing the older female to frown since there was no one in sight.

Suddenly, a drop of blood fell from up above and fell onto Ophelia's cheek. She wiped the blood with her index finger before examining it closely on the tip do her finger. She slowly looked, only to see the man Valerie was talking about was now about ten feet above her, impaled through the chest with one of the large, thick branches of a large tree, "My, god." Ophelia muttered under her breath.

"He tried to catch me. When he grabbed me, I screamed out and he flew up and got stuck. Do I have powers like Daddy?" Valerie asked Ophelia as the female tribrid continued to look up ins shock, "My eyes turned yellow like mommy's, am I a doggy like her?"

Ophelia's eyes widened, realizing what the little girl meant. She slowly looked down at the girl, a shocked expression on her face.

The girl's mother was a werewolf and her father was a witch. Just like Ophelia's were. The man tried to attack her, but Valerie's powers triggered for the first time and she ended up accidentally using her magic to attack the guy, which lead him to dying and because of that, her werewolf side was triggered.

"I never got your name, sweetheart," Ophelia stated quietly, "Mind telling me?"

"Valerie." The little girl introduced herself.

"And how old are you, Valerie?" Ophelia asked Valerie, who held out three fingers, "How would you like to stay with me for a bit? Does that sound good? Just until we find either your pack or your coven."

"What are those?" Valerie asked curiously and Ophelia couldn't help but slightly chuckle as she held her hand.

"I'll explain on the way back to the truck. But I can't promise that you'll fully understand it," Ophelia replied as Valerie finally grabbed onto Valerie's hand, "Come now."

And that was the beginning of Valerie's life with Ophelia Rose, who soon became the mother figure she always needed. It was as if history was repeating itself. But this time, she wouldn't let a man come in and ruin it.