18

As Valerie quickly walked toward the front door of the school, she was suddenly cornered by Josie, "What's wrong? I heard about what happened in the hallway," She asked Valerie concerned.

 Valerie immediately grabbed Josie's hand and pulled along with her as she left the interior of the school, "Rafael was just beaten badly by the wolves. I need to find him before he accidentally hurts someone," Valerie explained, "I need you to come with me just in case I have to do magic."

"I thought I siphoned away the spell?" Josie asked her confused.

Valerie shook her head, "My mother put another one on me. I can only do magic when I'm inside the school now." She informed her and Josie nodded her head in understanding.

"Well then, let's go find him."

________

Valerie and Josie arrived at the broken down house that all of the students of the Salvatore store go to party. Rafael was in the middle of breaking pieces of wood from the house, clearly in an angered state, "Raf! Raf!" Valerie called out worriedly as she walked toward him, Josie staying right at the doorway, not wanting to intrude.

"I told you to leave me alone, Valerie!" Rafael shouted at her.

"I'm not going to do that until calm the hell down!" Valerie argued as she walked toward Rafael, who began to back up, afraid of hurting her.

"It's not safe! Get away! I could hurt you!" Rafael shouted at her as Valerie grabbed him back by the arm to stop him from pulling away.

"Just calm down," Valerie told him in a calm, soothing tone, "Just breathe. You'll be okay."

Rafael shook his head, heaving for breath, "I can't! I can't calm down. Nothing will work." He argued.

"Well, maybe this will," Valerie suddenly replied, placing one of her hands on the side his neck. She pulled him closer before leaning forward, pressing her lips against his. Valerie placed her other hand on his chest, feeling his heartbeat to make sure it was slowing down. Rafael immediately began to kiss back as he calmed down.

 Josie, who stood in the doorway, immediately looked away from the two, tears nearly forming in her eyes. She messed up. She knew that. And there was a chance she would never be able to take it back.

Slowly Valerie pulled away, her eyes glanced down at Rafael's lips before she looked back up at him, "Why'd you do that?" He asked quietly.

"It calmed you down, didn't it?" She asked, a small smile on her lips.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Rafael apologized and Valerie immediately shook her head in disagreement.

"No, you didn't scare me," Valerie argued in a calm tone, "You could never scare me."

 Rafael sighed, avoiding eye contact with her, "Hey, hey," Valerie called out to him quietly, using her hands to turn his head so that he was looking at her, "What scares the hell out of me is that you don't submit to Jed, you're dead. Not even someone like me can protect you from that. But that's just the way it is. That's how it's always been."

"But you're not apart of his pack, why do I have to be?" Rafael complained.

"The only reason I'm not is because Hope and I have been fighting them off for years. You're not the only one who had to fight them today. The only thing is, I'm able to stall. Their werewolf strength is nothing compared to my magic. But the time will come when my magic won't be able to protect me. And I have a feeling that that's going to be real soon." Valerie explained to him.