33

Ophelia was at the Mystic Falls cemetery with Dorian when Alaric called them for what felt like the hundredth time. He had called Ophelia four times and when she didn't answer, he decided to call Dorian, knowing that they were both together, "It's our day off, Ric," He reminded his boss, "The three of us talked about this."

"Hope and Ophelia just sealed me in my office and I need to get out," Alaric informed Dorian and Ophelia, knowing that the phone was on speaker.

"Just wait till the spell wears off," Ophelia replied, not caring that her daughter and Hope were getting into trouble. It wasn't anything new and Remembrance Day was the only day that she couldn't even spend half of it not having to worry about the two girls.

"They're trying to negotiate with The Necromancer," Alaric argued, causing Ophelia to sigh.

She didn't know they would do something that bad, "Ric, we're off the clock," Dorian told him, "This is the only day we take off all year, well half day in Ophelia's case, but we'll talk to you tomorrow."

With that Dorian hung up, causing Ophelia to let out a sigh, "You don't think we should help him?" She asked Dorian who shook his head.

"Alaric and the girls can live without your powers and my smarts for a day. Chill out," Dorian reminded her, causing Ophelia to smile as she nodded her head.

"You know what? You're right," She agreed with him.

Just then, the two adults when they looked up to see Kaleb and MG walking by, "What the hell?" Ophelia spoke up, a frown on her face.

___

In the basement of the Salvatore School, Hope and Valerie were still talking with The Necromancer, "After I left you. I returned to the scene of my death. I saw a shadow. I felt a searing pain. And when I looked down, there was a knife in my heart and emptiness all around me."

"A knife?" Valerie questioned him confused.

"The knife," The Necromancer corrected her, standing up from his seat as he pointed his index finger at both her and Hope, "Interestingly enough, that which I seek is that which did me in. You've got to understand, to be killed by such a trifle of an object; I was curious as to its power, so I jumped out of my subconscious and summoned the spirit of the man who forged the knife in the first place."

"You left me there on purpose?" Hope asked him angrily, clearly feeling betrayed.

"Oh, I had work to do, and you had lessons to learn. From this man, I heard the remarkable story of Malivore, created to wipe the scourge of the supernatural off the face of this Earth. Malivore consumed us, erased us. It was permanent death. And it was in Malivore that were left to perish. Until recently, when the knife started beckoning us to bring it home."

"But why a knife?" Hope asked curiously.

"Decades ago, Malivore was contained. Three locks created to seal Malivore shut. The knife is one of those locks. When all three locks return home, Malivore is free to open its jaws of death once again."

"What the hell does that even mean?" Valerie said quietly, sharing a glance with Hope.

"Oh, my dears..." He trailed off, moving closer to the bars of the cell, "Let's just hope you're not still alive to find out."

____

At the cemetery, Ophelia and Dorian ended up deciding to follow MG and Kaleb into the woods when Ophelia began to feel as though something wasn't right. She didn't even need to use her witch powers to know that.

They found Kaleb in the middle of trying to pull MG off of a boy he was feeding off of. Ophelia vamp sped over to MG as he elbowed Kaleb to the ground. She used her hands to snap MG's neck, allowing him to fall to the ground alongside the boy he was feeding on. Dorian bent down, injecting MG with a dose of vervain to keep him down.

Ophelia walked over to the human boy, quickly giving him some of her blood before compelling him to leave and forget all about what had happened to him. She then turned to Kaleb, who looked at the ground, afraid to look Ophelia in the eyes because he knew she wasn't happy and Ophelia could be frightening when she wasn't happy.

_____

"So let me get this straight," Hope began to tell the Necromancer, "You left me inside your freaky twisted mindscape, knowing that Valerie would come after me all so you could...what? Stall us?"

"My apologies for the melodrama, but I needed to buy myself some time." He informed her.

"To talk to some dead knife maker," Valerie commented in an annoyed tone.

"That, and to retrieve the knife your friend Dorian had hidden behind the stacks in the library," He told them, causing Valerie's eyes to widen in shock.

"What?" She asked in disbelief.

"Because while Hope was trapped and you were busy trying to save her from just a small semblance of the blackness I suffered, experiencing just an ounce of my agony, I was busy doing what I do best: controlling the dead."

"I don't understand," Hope replied even though Valerie felt as though she did understand.

"He was stalling us," Valerie spoke up, sighing in defeat.

"Yes, my darling, you are correct," The Necromancer grinned widely, "Just as I'm stalling you right now. Did you know there's a line of Witches from your bloodline buried in the local cemetery that excel in the art of mystical transport? I summoned a little help to ensure the knife returned to Malivore quickly and without incident?"

"Oh, my God!" Hope and Valerie gasped in shock, realizing that they had made a great mistake.

"Come on, look on the bright side," He tried to convince them, "You can get back to the daily grind of your young life. Both of you can. And in moments, when the knife is returned to Malivore, I will be free to find peace. As for your father, he watches over you every day. Both of you, actually. And that mother of Valerie's. He did die with love in his heart, and he doesn't regret his choice."

Valerie turned to Hope, who was trying her hardest not to cry as the Necromancer walked away from then, "But he won't find peace...until you do. Eh, good luck with that."

Suddenly, the ceiling began to shake rumble, "The knife is destroyed. One lock is released." The Necromancer bowed to them dramatically, "And with it, so am I."

The Necromancer extended his arms out, smiling happily as he suddenly vanished into thin air. Hope began to silently cry while Valerie sighed in defeat, "We need to stop doing things like this," She told Hope quietly, "We're going to be in so much trouble."