21

"Give recent events, some students have expressed concern that I am not allowing you to have a say in the decisions that affect your future," Alaric announced to the students that sat in the rows of chairs in front of him, "And I agree. If you are expected to abide by this school's policies, it's only fair that you have a voice in how those voices are made. So I am forming an honor council. One vampire, one witch, and one werewolf, each elected by their peers. Along with our school counselor Emma, whose vote will represent the younger students. Now, I have to go off-campus. In the meantime, I expect you to make good decisions and to vote wisely. That's all. You're dismissed."

_______

 In the gym, the werewolves were all coming at Jed, practicing their fighting skills. Many of them were thrown on the ground at ease, seeing as Jed overpowered most of them.

"All right, I got a medieval history due at two o'clock," Jed informed the group of werewolves, "Who's on that?"

"I'll do it," Rafael suddenly spoke up, causing Valerie to turn to him and give him a confused look as he made his way over to where Jed stood, "But I need a favor."

"You've been in the pack for five minutes, and you want a favor from her your alpha?" Jed questioned, sounding amused.

"You're obviously going to be elected to the honor council. If it comes down to it, will you do what you can to keep Landon in?"

"That's a great idea, foster kid. I'll bring that up at the first meeting.  So I can make sure your boy gets the boot." The smile on Rafael's face immediately faded when he heard Jed's words.

"Why?" Rafael asked him confused, "I joined the pack. Yo, I'm following all the stupid rules that..."

"Well, consider that punishment," Jed cut him off, "For not respecting my authority when you got here. The rule is this: What the alpha says goes. And I say Landon goes."

 With that, Jed walked off, leaving Rafael angered.

___

Alaric and Ophelia sat in chairs across from the Dryad trapped in Dorian's cabin as the Dryad explained her love story, "I feel your pain," She spoke up, looking over at Alaric and Ophelia, "The two of you have lost a great love."

"A psychic tree: Check," Alaric commented, causing Ophelia to smile as she shook her head.

"Is your humor helpful in avoiding your pain?" She asked Alaric before turning to Ophelia, "You make yourself look so happy, when you are not. Does that help you?"

Ophelia sighed, shaking her head, "Not really, no." She confessed for the first time in two years about how she really felt.

"You carry more than one loss. Both of you do." She told them and Ophelia nodded her head before Alaric spoke up.

"Several," Alaric replied to her comment.

"So do I," Ophelia admitted quietly.

"Including the mother of my children," Alaric added in, "But there's happiness there, too. I see it in their smiles, in their laughter. I still see her sometimes."

The Dryad turned to Ophelia with a small smile on her face, "And who have you lost?" She questioned and Ophelia remained silent for a brief moment.

"I've lost two loves before. One being the epic one, Klaus. And the one before that, Jackson," She admitted it, "They both ended horribly, the two of them ending up dead and I can't help but feel as though I could have saved them. Especially Jackson. If it wasn't for me, he would have still been alive."

 Ophelia turned to glance at Alaric, who gave her a sympathetic smile.

_____

 Valerie was in her room, working on some homework when there was a knock on her door, "Come in!" She spoke up loudly and only a moment later, Josie opened the door, "Oh, hey, Josie. What's up?"

"I wanted you to hear it from me before Lizzie starting to boast about it in front of you," Josie informed the female hybrid, causing Valerie to give her a confused look, "Lizzie convinced Rafael to be her date for her birthday party in exchanged to vote for Landon staying at the school. I know you like him--"

 Before Josie could finish her sentence, Valerie cut her off, "Wait, who said I liked him?" Valerie asked Josie confused.

"I mean, you guys are always together. And need I mention, you kissed him." Josie replied and Valerie smiled, shaking her head.

"I don't like him," She replied, trying her hardest to keep serious.

"Mhm," Josie hummed in response, taking a seat next to Valerie on her bed, "So I was thinking, there's a dance coming up at the high school. Would you maybe want to sneak out of here and go with me? Just like old times?"

 Valerie chuckled, nodding her head in agreement, "I would love that."

____

 Valerie was walking down the hallway when Rafael caught up to her, "You are not going to believe what I had to agree to do for Lizzie to agree to vote for Landon staying here." He told her and Valerie smiled, turning to look at Rafael.

"Let me guess, she's forcing you to be her date for her birthday party?" Valerie questioned, seeing as she already knew.

"How did you--" Rafael began to ask, but Valerie cut him off.

"Josie told me," She informed him, "If it means you get her vote, I think it's a fantastic idea."

"So you don't care?" Rafael asked her curiously and Valerie stopped walking, turning to face him fully.

"Why would I care?" She asked him and Rafael let out a sigh in defeat, "What?"

Rafael quickly shook his head, "Nothing, it's nothing. Listen, I better go. I'll see you after, right?"

Valerie smiled, nodding her head, "Right." She replied, sending him one last smile before he walked off.

AN: Damn, Rafael really wanted her to react differently to him being Lizzie's date. Also, I gave a little spoiler in this book about my fanfic Red Queen. Ophelia and Jackson, in fact, do get together in my other book.